- How can I update Capture One? Do I have to pay for an update/upgrade?
- How many activations per license do I have?
- What is the difference between subscription and perpetual licenses?
- Backward compatibility
1. Upgrades and updates
Upgrades should not be confused with Updates as the latter does not require any extra payment. An update indicates minor changes coming with the latest service release version (for instance, going from Capture One 11.1 to Capture One 11.2).
How to update Capture One
To update to the current version, simply download Capture One from your account on the website and install it. Note that you will be downloading the entire program again as there is no separate file with the recent updates only.
The Capture One download file contains all versions of Capture One: Capture One Pro, Capture One Fujifilm, Capture One (for Sony), Capture One Express Fujifilm/(for Sony), Capture One Enterprise, Capture One Cultural Heritage, Capture One for Phase One.
How to upgrade Capture One (perpetual licenses only)
If you are shifting to the newest major Capture One release (for instance, going from Capture One 10.x to Capture One 11.x), then you have to purchase an upgrade. This can be done by going to My Account -> Upgrade your license or to https://www.captureone.com/en/store/upgrade where you can purchase an upgrade. When the upgrade is complete, you will receive a new license code for the new software version. The old license will be disabled and thus cannot be used. If you still need to activate a previous software version, you can do so with the new license code (see the Backward Compatibility section below).
In nearly all cases, the major upgrade of Capture One could be obtained at extra cost. If your license contains a free upgrade, it allows you to activate the next major upgrade of Capture One at no extra cost. This usually applies only to users with Capture One 3 who are willing to shift to Capture One 4 and 5. There are generally no free upgrades available in the later versions of the software (Capture One 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. 12).
However, those users who had purchased Capture One just before a new version of the software was released have the right for a free upgrade. Please consider that free upgrades allow you to use the next version only. For instance, a Capture One 10 license with a single free upgrade would allow you to activate Capture One 11 with the same key. It would not let you skip Capture One 11 and activate Capture One 12.
Any upgrades are outlined in the specifications of your license code which can be found by visiting our website captureone.com and navigating to the My Account -> Manage licenses-> Manage -> License Management.
2. License activation
All Capture One single-user licenses allow activating the software on at least 2 computers simultaneously.
- Capture One Pro – a single-user (perpetual) license allows activating the software on 3 computers simultaneously. A subscription license for Capture One Pro will allow activating the software on 3 workstations as well. Please note that the change from 2 to 3 activations of a Capture One Pro perpetual license was first implemented in version 9, while the change from 2 to 3 activations for Capture One Pro subscription owners was first adopted in version 20.
- Capture One Fujifilm – a single-user license will allow activating the software on 2 computers simultaneously.
- Capture One (for Sony) – a single-user license will allow activating the software on 2 computers simultaneously.
- Multi-User license – a "5-user" license can be used on 5 computers simultaneously. A “10-user” license can be used on 10 computers simultaneously. Consider that each user can respectively activate the software on 1 computer.
- Capture One Enterprise - there are options for 1, 5, or 10 users per plan. The license key is scalable on seats.
You can find the number of activations left for your current license within the Capture One application. Go to Capture One -> License (macOS) or in the Help -> License (Windows). You can also get this information by accessing your Capture One profile on our website by navigating to My Account -> Managing licenses -> Go to license -> License Management.
If you want to switch from Express to full version Pro / Fujifilm / (for Sony), you do not need to download new software. Instead, open the license window in Capture One and choose the option to Deactivate or Change Activation. After relaunching Capture One, you can activate the product that you have already purchased with your new license.
If you want to activate the Capture One software on another computer, you may need to deactivate Capture One on one of your workstations with Capture One first to free up an activation. Note that the activations can be reset from either the Capture One website or in the Capture One software. Check the articles below for more instruction concerning those aspects.
3. Perpetual licenses vs subscription licenses
Perpetual license - once you pay for the Capture One software version, you obtain a lifetime license. Perpetual licenses can be deactivated only in the following cases:
- An upgrade is purchased and the new license key was issued to replace the previous one.
- Return of the license key (only for unused keys).
- Fraud, etc.
For example, if you purchase a Capture One 11 Pro license, you would be able to activate any previous version of the software (Capture One 10, Capture One 9, Capture One 8, etc). However, upcoming major upgrades of Capture One will be paid upgrades.
Subscription license - you have to make payments monthly or annually based on your subscription plan. As long as you make regular payments, a subscription license works with the latest upgrade or update.
4. Backward compatibility
The backward compatibility of Capture One licenses depends on whether it was issued by Fastspring. Fastspring licensing was first introduced in Capture 11.3.2. If you can find your license in the Fastspring order history, your license is a Fastspring license.
|Capture One 7 or older||Not supported by the software.||Can activate any version of Capture One that is older than the purchased license version|
|Capture One 8,9,10,11||Legacy subscriptions are supported since Capture One 8 onward and allow customers to use Capture One from version 8 to the latest one. No longer sold.|
|Capture One 11.3.2 or newer||Fastspring subscriptions are supported from Capture One 11.3.2 onward and allow customers to use Capture One from version 11.3.2 to the latest one. Except for Sony/Pro subscriptions that are supported from Capture One Pro 12.|