My Nikon D2X will not tether to Capture One on macOS. What is the workaround to make my camera supported?
NOTE: This is a legacy article intended for Capture One 6 and earlier versions. The files from Nikon may not be available any longer. The workaround may no longer work in the current operating systems as well. This article remains in the database for informative purposes only.
The agreement between Phase One and Nikon does not include older Nikon cameras. The support is not built-in to Capture One. The files for the camera support must be installed manually as a workaround. This is not approved by Phase One and is for your information only.
The problem with supporting older Nikons, such as the D2X, stems from the agreements and rights to use older Nikon SDKs. The older SDKs are required to communicate with these bodies as they use an earlier, more "closed" version of the PTP protocol. The conflict is not that Nikon refuses to let Phase One use the SDKs, only that we have not received permission to use the older SDKs (only the new ones).
There is a workaround, however, to manually inject the older Nikon SDK into the Capture One bundle. If you choose to follow this route, please do so at your own risk. Phase One officially does not endorse this and cannot provide support for tethering the Nikon D2X to Capture One.
Manually injecting the Nikon SDK from Camera Control Pro 2
- Install Nikon Camera Control Pro 2.
- Find the D2 (or D200) bundle at Library -> Application Support -> Nikon -> Camera Control Module. The files needed are "D2 Module.bundle" or "D200 Module.bundle". Copy the file needed to your Desktop.
- Open Applications and find Capture One.
- Right-click on Capture One and select Show Package Contents.
- In the package, select CaptureCoreServer. Right-click and select Show Package Contents.
- In that package, navigate to Contents -> Framework -> CaptureCore -> Nikon -> MAID.
- Paste the .bundle files from Step 2 into this folder.
- Restart Capture One.
Manually injecting the files without Camera Control Pro 2
- Download the D2 Bundle and .dylib file zip file below:
Link to download D2 Bundle and .dylib file
- Place the D2 Module.bundle file in the same location as explained in Step 7 above.
- Copy the file fileLibNkPTPDriver.dylib from the link in Step 1 into Library -> Application Support -> Nikon -> Camera Control Modules. Create a new directory if necessary.