Things you should know before importing a Lightroom catalog
We recommend that you always optimize the catalog in Lightroom, remove any unsupported files, and move parts of your catalog items (projects, books, folders, ...) to a new folder in Lightroom, and then export this folder as a new catalog.
As Lightroom stores data only in the catalog form, you have to create a catalog in Capture One first in order to import a Lightroom catalog. It is not possible to import it to a session.
NOTE: The Lightroom catalog for import must be from version 5.0 or higher.
How to import a Lightroom catalog?
You can use a Capture One Catalog to import previously made catalogs of images from third-party applications. A Capture One Catalog can import Lightroom Catalogs, albeit with some restrictions. Images are not moved or duplicated but referenced in their original location.
The importer is not used in this instance, however, the underlying process is practically identical. Capture One creates variants for each of the original image files which are referenced in their original location (i.e., the original images are not moved, or duplicated). You can then continue with your typical workflow using a Capture One Catalog instead.
- Open an existing Capture One Catalog or create a new one. To create a new one, select File -> New Catalog.
- From the main menu, go to File -> Import Catalog and then select Lightroom Catalog… from the list.
- A Finder/Explorer system window opens. Navigate to the relevant file type - Lightroom catalog - [name].lrcat
- A small Activities dialog window opens showing a progress bar of the import.
- If any original source images are offline (e.g., when referenced to a disconnected external drive), a warning dialog opens prompting you to Skip All, Skip (specific files), Retry or Stop and dismiss the action.
Watch this tutorial on how to import a Lightroom catalog to Capture One.
What is imported?
Below is a list of what is supported in Capture One when importing a Lightroom catalog.
- Lightroom Collection -> Capture One Album
- Lightroom Collection Set -> Capture One Group
Smart Collections are not imported. Empty Collection Sets are not imported.
- White Balance Preset (if name equivalent) or WB Temperature/Tint
All other adjustments are ignored.
- Star Rating
- Color Label
- Applied Keywords (flat, not hierarchical)
- IPTC Core Contact: Creator Name, Job Title, Address, City, State/Province, Postal Code, Country, Telephone, Email, Website
- IPTC Core Content: Headline, Caption, Category, Supplemental Categories, Keywords, IPTC Subject Code, Caption/Description Writer
- IPTC Core Image: Intellectual Genre, IPTC Scene Code, Location, City, State/Province, Country, ISO Country Code
- IPTC Core Status: Title, Job Identifier, Instructions, Provider (Credit Line), Source, Copyright, Rights Usage Terms