What are the Variants and Clones?
Variants and Clones
A Variant is a duplicate of the raw file with the primary settings. It means that the copy is made based on the original file and in the format you shot it in.
A Clone is a duplicate of the image you are working on and with the current settings.
The Variants and Clones feature does not duplicate a raw file but creates a secondary file setting to minimize the disk space used.
It is important to mention that the original RAW data is not modified and not influenced by any changes made when adjusting the variants and clones.
This is an excellent way to track the changes made during the process of adjustments on the way of achieving the desired look of the image.
When should I use Variants?
When you are adjusting your images in Capture One, start making a variant of your image you want to work with. That way, the software makes a copy of your original image settings. Making a variant helps you to get to a new starting point whenever you need to. The Variants feature makes it much easier for you to compare the original image with the one with adjustments.
When should I use Clones?
When you want to make a copy of the image you adjusted, the Clones feature might be exactly what you need. Using this feature means that you make a clone of the adjusted variant along with all the changes you made. For example, the metering values, colors, or shadow of highlights will be duplicated to the clone you create.
To make "adjustment tests" of your image, you can clone the clone. You can repeat this method until the moment you are happy with the changes. Afterwards, you will be able to watch the process being made of your adjustments.
Working with Variants and Clones to maximize creativity and flexibility
Creating a Variant
1. Select the image you want to use in the browser.
2. Go to Image in the menu and select New Variant.
3. Make sure to enable the Multiple Image Viewing tool.
4. Select a new variant that was created in the browser.
5. The original image and the variant appear next to each other in the preview window.
6. Select the variant. Now you can start adjusting the image. One of the advantages is that you can see the changes and compare it with the original file.
Creating a Clone
1. Go to the browser and right-click on the variant. Select Clone Variant.
Alternatively, select a variant, proceed to the main menu, and go to Image -> Clone Variant.
2. Select the clone. Now all three images are displayed on the screen next to each other.
3. Select the copy of the variant in the viewer window. Feel free to make your adjustments to the clone.
You now can watch the original, variant and the cloned variant next to each other.