Packing images as EIP in Sessions
NOTE: DNGs, JPEG and TIFF files cannot be packed as EIP.
The .EIP file format doesn’t change your RAW files; it simply uses standardized zipping technology to pack all needed components into one file. The original RAW file will be packed with your setting file, ICC profile, and LCC profile.
- Select the intended images that will be packed as .EIP.
- In the main menu, choose Image -> Pack as EIP.
- The files are now automatically packed and those will be named with the extension .EIP.
NOTE: It is possible to pack an image as .EIP in Sessions only.
When packing an image as EIP, the settings file is moved (not copied) to the packed EIP file. In a Session, adjustments are saved separately in sidecar files, so those can be easily moved to the EIP package. While in a Catalog, the adjustments are kept inside a single database.
In the Preferences, it is also possible to checkmark the option to pack images as EIPs automatically during import/tethered capture.
Unpacking EIP files in Sessions
- Select the images that need to be unpacked.
- Choose Image -> Unpack EIP.
- The files are now automatically unpacked and will display the original file extension.
NOTE: An EIP is not recommended to be used with Catalogs. Always unpack EIPs before using them in a Catalog as EIP files cannot be unpacked inside a Catalog. To unpack EIPs, rename the file extension to .zip and then extract the file with any archive utility.