To view and edit source images that are already stored on your computer, you must first import them into Capture One’s database. When importing like this, Capture One is not duplicating or copying the source files but referencing them in their existing location. This procedure also applies when you’re referencing source images stored on an external drive.
NOTE: If you’re importing a large library of images, the rendering of individual previews for every image may take some time.
- Open the importer by choosing one of the following options:
- In the main menu, choose File -> Import Images...
- Click on the Import icon in the toolbar.
- Drag a volume or folder of images into the Capture One image browser.
- Click on the Import icon in the browser of a new catalog
- The Import Images dialog (i.e., the importer) opens. When a folder has been dragged into the Capture One image browser, the contents of that folder are displayed as thumbnails in the importer’s browser.
- When searching for images to import, click on the Source fly-out menu and select Choose Folder... in the Import From tool. Navigate to the relevant folder you want to refer to. The images will then be shown as thumbnails in the importer’s browser.
- Make sure that the Include Subfolders checkbox is selected in the Import From tool. Note that this option should be used when maintaining a previously organized folder of images (i.e., an existing image library).
- Enable Exclude Duplicates to prevent duplication of images already imported by your current Catalog.
- When you want to select specific images to import, adopt the usual Shift-click to select contiguous images, or Cmd+click (macOS) / Ctrl+click (Windows) to select individual images. When you want to reset the image selection, click on the background between thumbnails.
- In the Import To tool, select or verify the Current Location option listed in the Destination fly-out menu. This is intended for referencing image files in situ. Note that the importer remembers the last selection and, therefore, the current setting may not be suitable for your intended storage location.
- Verify the Collection text box is set to Recent Imports Only. If it is already set up, you can use the other settings to sort images into existing User Collections (i.e., existing albums, or albums based on templates).
- Select options for backing-up, captioning, and adjustments as desired. Copyright and renaming options will be disabled when referencing images in their current location.
- Press Import All or Import XX Images for selected images if no further options are required.