If you are looking for an article about naming images on import into a Session, please click here.
When left to the default setting, with the Image Name token in the Format field of the Naming tool, Capture One keeps the original file names unchanged. However, you can rename the images using text or tokens, or any combination of the two. There is a wide range of naming tokens available, organized by type for easy reference. There is a number of built-in presets for commonly used naming conventions. You can easily create your own presets as well. When importing images already stored on your computer or external drive and referencing them in their original location (i.e., not moving them), the Naming dialog is disabled. For more information on naming and renaming, see File Naming.
- Go to the Naming tool in the Import Images dialog.
- In the Format field, verify previous image naming entries (Capture One adopts the last used, and this may not be relevant this time). To maintain the original image file names only, verify that the Image Name token is in place.
- To rename images, add text or a combination of text and tokens in the Format field (if you know the token names already, start typing in the Format field to reveal a list and select the relevant name). Alternatively, click on the adjacent Action menu (...) button to choose from the range of tokens. The Naming Format dialog window opens.
- Select the desired naming choice by dragging or double-clicking on the tokens in the flat list or select from the organized Group list, or a built-in combination from the Presets fly-out menu. Any combination of text and tokens can be saved as a user preset.
- When the Job Name token is selected, the Job Name field in the Naming tool becomes active. Use this option to add a relevant name, such as the job's name, your name, or the company name, for example.
- Click OK to accept the changes. The Naming Format dialog closes and adds the chosen combination to the Format field in the Naming tool.
- Add text in the Job Name field, see Step 5.
- In the Sample field, verify that the name is in the desired format.
- After pressing Import or Import All, any changes will be applied to the images as those are imported.