Whether you have left captured images to be managed inside the catalog or you have specified a separate destination folder, the Next Capture Location tool allows the incoming images to be organized into Capture Collections. Collections are virtual albums. It means that the images are not physically moved once they are in the destination folder. Capture Collections are a useful organizational asset for complex high-volume shoots in the same way as separate physical Capture Folders are.
Capture Collections have an advantage over separate Capture Folders as they provide the option to quickly isolate and display the captures by Collection. A Catalog typically adopts a single browser session, showing all the images across all the Capture Folders. While you can work with the Capture Folders individually from the Library and view only their contents, using Albums is arguably more convenient. You can also micro-manage the advanced search and organizational capabilities of Smart Albums by limiting them to individual Collections rather than the entire catalog with its constituent Capture Folders.
Before allocating incoming images to a Capture Collection, you must set up a Collection in the Library, then nominate it as a Capture Collection. Setting a series of Collections allows you to switch between them when you have to organize a complex shoot. When adding Albums, it is a good idea to adopt a descriptive and logical name or naming format.
- Before shooting starts, go to the Library tool located under the Library tool tab.
- From the User Collections dialog, click on the + icon and add an Album (only Albums can hold images, though Albums may be further organized using Projects or Groups or a combination of both). A new Collection naming dialog opens.
- Name the Album using a logical and descriptive format.
- Ctrl-click/right-click (Mac/Windows) on the first Album to be used for incoming images and select Set as Capture Collection. A small camera icon will be displayed next to the Album as a visual reminder.
- Return to the Capture tool tab and go to the Next Capture Location tool.
- From the Collection drop-down, select Capture Collection.
- Captured images coming into Capture One will be now stored in the selected Destination (Capture) folder and organized into the designated Capture Collection.
- To move to the next Capture Collection, return to the Library tool and repeat the actions starting from Step 4.