When using a Catalog for tethered capture, Capture One stores the images inside a folder within the Catalog (name.cocatalog) file by default. Unless the Catalog location has been changed, both the catalog and captured images will be stored in the Pictures/My Pictures folder (Mac/Windows) on the local drive.
While this is fine for small shoots, when large volumes of images are expected, you can select or create a separate folder for the captured images anywhere in your system. Changing the storage location is achieved with the Next Capture Location tool and you can change the location when using new or existing Catalogs at any time, even when shooting. Images are then referenced to the catalog in the same way that you would reference any other images using a catalog.
When creating a new Catalog, the previously chosen location for the Catalog will be recalled. Therefore, it is important to carefully select the storage location of the Catalog file during its creation and then either verify or amend the storage location for the captured images from the Next Capture Location tool.
1. Go to the Next Capture Location tool.
2. From the Destination fly-out menu, select one of the following options:
- Inside Catalog (default) - selecting this option will store the captured images inside the catalog database file (i.e, the images are "managed"). After selecting this option, follow the guide from Step 4.
- Choose Folder - this option allows you to store captured image files in a specified folder (i.e, the images are "referenced") separate from the catalog.
3. When selecting the Choose Folder option, navigate to the new location and select an existing folder or choose New Folder (optional) and name it. Then select Set as Capture Folder. Future captures will be stored in that folder.
4. Catalogs have a Collection option displayed in the Next Capture Location tool. Choose one of the following options:
- Recent Captures Only (default) - select if you do not want to use this option to group imported images into an existing Capture Collection (i.e., a designated User Collection).
- Capture Collection - select this option to add imported images to the current Capture Collection (i.e., a "virtual" album previously set up as a Capture Collection, denoted by a small camera icon).
5. The Space Left field indicates the estimated number of captures available (based on the image file size of the last used tethered camera) and the capacity of the drive, where the chosen folder was selected or created.