Customizing the layout with Tangent Mapper
To customize the control layout of your Tangent panel, you will need the Tangent Mapper software (see the Tangent Mapper - User Manual for more information). Tangent Mapper is a component of the Tangent Hub application. This can be downloaded and installed from the Tangent Wave website.
- Go to www.tangentwave.co.uk
- Select your Tangent panel model.
- Go to Application Support.
- From the What application do use? drop-down menu, select Phase One Capture One Pro application from the list.
- Download the appropriate OS installer from the list and install the Tangent Hub application.
Color wheel layout
Capture One’s color wheels used in the Color Balance and Color Editor tools located in the Color Inspector can be displayed with the chroma (color) hue reference phase rotated 90-degrees to imitate a Vectorscope layout, as found on high-end video-editing software.
A Vectorscope is used to adjust the color balance to give images a certain look, called grading by colorists, in much the same way as it is in Capture One. In addition to the color hue rotation, both the saturation and lightness sliders are reversed in the Color Balance tool and the Color Editor (Skin Tone mode only).
Familiarity with this layout, with red near to the top, should be of benefit to anyone working with both mediums, especially so for example when trying to color balance between stills and video from a range of scenes. A convergent workflow is particularly relevant with the three color wheels in the Color Balance tool, especially when working with the Tangent Wave grading-panels.
Note the change in layout does not affect the functionality of either tool. Also note the layout cannot be altered in features where the system color picker is adopted (which can display a color wheel on a Mac), such the option found in the Appearance inspector in the Preferences.
Changing the color wheel layout
- Go to the Capture One Preferences by navigating to Capture One -> Preferences (macOS) or Edit -> Preferences (WIndows).
- Click on the Color tool tab.
- Go to Color Wheels section and select the layout from the two options. Red to the right is the default. Red close to the top imitates a Vectorscope. The selection is made without the need to restart Capture One.
- To return to the default selection, repeat the actions starting from Step 1.