I've posted a feature request on this before, but now I'm at wits end and will probably be leaving Capture One because the lack of support for normal cataloging features with videos just makes my vacation workflow completely untenable. I will likely be moving back to Lightroom even though I'm not a fan of the subscription model (I own a perpetual C1 license) and I like the C1 editing and RAW rendering. But, a workflow that includes videos is just untenable (pull-my-hair-out-frustrating and massively-time-wasting) in C1. Today's organizing effort probably took double the time (and extra 3 hours) because of all these problems.
My goal when vacationing is to combine the photos AND videos from two or more phones and my Nikon mirrorless into one catalog. Then, select, rate, tag, keyword and edit. Then, group into a few albums (by keyword and tag) which I can then export for sharing on both Smugmug and Facebook. Pretty much NONE of this works for videos because very few cataloging features work on videos.
To recap issues I just ran into the last couple days:
- Videos don't sort properly so there is no way to see photos and videos chronologically in the catalog.
- Rename upon import does not use the "shoot date" of the video so if you're trying to end up with filenames that can be used for a proper chronological sort, even when media comes from several different devices, this doesn't work for videos.
- Videos don't display the full filename anywhere except down in the meta data panel whereas photos show them in the main image view. This matters because export doesn't work for videos so I'm often forced to manually find videos in the file system and export them manuallyd and if you have a long filename, you can't see the only part of the filename that is different (at the end).
- While, you can rate a video, the shortcut keys 0-5 don't work for videos.
- You can't export videos as part of a selection.
- You can't keyword videos.
- You can't create smart albums (by keyword and/or rating) that include videos.
- Vertical phone videos display sideways in C1. It's weird because the thumbnails display in the correct orientation, but not the main video.
FYI, I'm running C1v22, but haven't seen any indication that any of these issues are fixed/different in v23. If so, I would have purchased it.
Please sign in to leave a comment.