Skip to main content

Capture One Pro 20

Comments

92 comments

  • Keith Reeder
    Wesley wrote:
    If you're a pro retoucher than you must still have a PS CS6 license to use..?

    Why "must" he?

    Seems like an odd assumption...
    0
  • SFA
    Keith Reeder wrote:
    SFA wrote:
    No it doesn't for at least as long as you keep the older and compatible hardware running.

    The issue is more around ongoing OS support, Grant - see ClauS' comment before this one.


    I realise that Keith but in the end one has the opportunity, usually at least in Windows world, to keep older hardware runing for some time. Long enough, I would suggest, for most people to have either chosen to upgrade, moved what they need to move to another system, moved on to different interests or shuffled off the mortal coil.

    Mac world is somewhat different it seems.

    So next Month or whenever it is my Windows 7 support will end. Which basically means that MS are abandoning any pretence of responsibility for online security and will no longer support old OS's to work with shiny new development features.

    My current notebook was purchased 7 years ago because 2 significant applications I use went to 64bit and required some considerable processing power to make the best of them. One application being Capture One. For the other, 64 bit was advantageous but more important was simply a big increase in processing capacity which is what this machine offered.

    I'm guessing I can get another year out of this device before I need to look at WIndows 10. That said I keep an eye on the opportunities to pick up a nice new current model equivalent of what I bought 7 years ago since one might expect some useful benefits and another 7 years would be good value.

    I see no obvious reason why I could not keep this machine running in its current specificaction for another 7 years or more just in case I might need to run some software that does not run on a later version of Wndows. Although I have to confess I can;t think of anything at the moment. There may be some things I would simply not want to move to a new machine based on rare use so why clutter up a new system?

    Of course if I bought a new camera and need to upgrade to support that then the situation would be different - but that's part of the cost that one has to accept for playing with the latest and greatest technology if one wants to get the most out of it.

    However, If I have bought the new camera and a spare battery or two and some new lenses (most likely) and memory cards for the latest high speed format ... then a machine update may seem logical and perhaps not so expensive, really, compared to everything else.

    The software update cost would probably not even register on the significance scale!

    Grant
    0
  • Irvin Gomez
    Wesley wrote:
    If you're a pro retoucher than you must still have a PS CS6 license to use...? Nothing a pro can't do in CS6 that's in PS subscription with retouching. I would be using Affinity Photo now if I didn't buy PS CS6 in the past.


    Not true - just compare versions.

    Wesley wrote:

    Previous Capture One version still work with the new OS version so it's not required to upgrade yearly. Ver 9 still work, probably even older versions also.


    Not true -

    https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002408757-Which-version-of-Capture-One-will-work-with-my-Windows-operating-system-
    0
  • Wesley
    Irvin.Gomez wrote:
    Wesley wrote:
    If you're a pro retoucher than you must still have a PS CS6 license to use...? Nothing a pro can't do in CS6 that's in PS subscription with retouching. I would be using Affinity Photo now if I didn't buy PS CS6 in the past.


    Not true - just compare versions.

    Wesley wrote:

    Previous Capture One version still work with the new OS version so it's not required to upgrade yearly. Ver 9 still work, probably even older versions also.


    Not true -

    https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002408757-Which-version-of-Capture-One-will-work-with-my-Windows-operating-system-

    What can you do that can't be done in CS6 or Affinity for skin retouching that would compel someone to get a PS subscription?

    I went by the older C1 download page's system requirement which didn't state the bare requirement is also its latest supported OS which explains the confusion: https://www.captureone.com/en/download/archive/COArchiveWin
    0
  • Wesley
    Keith Reeder wrote:
    Wesley wrote:
    If you're a pro retoucher than you must still have a PS CS6 license to use..?

    Why "must" he?

    Seems like an odd assumption...

    No subscription option for CS6, everyone must have a license. Safe to assume a pro retoucher uses Photoshop. Odd assumption?
    0
  • Keith Reeder
    Wesley wrote:
    No subscription option for CS6, everyone must have a license. Safe to assume a pro retoucher uses Photoshop. Odd assumption?

    Yep - I personally know plenty of people (myself included) who jumped from an older version of PhotoShop to the subscription model, bypassing CS6 completely.
    0
  • Keith Reeder
    SFA wrote:
    I realise that Keith but in the end one has the opportunity, usually at least in Windows world, to keep older hardware running for some time.

    No dispute from me that old hardware and software can have some life left in them, but Irvin's point - in its proper context - remains valid: that old software will eventually stop working on newer machines and operating systems, especially as more developers stop supporting 32 bit operating systems, which - to use an Americanism - is a clear and present "danger".

    In fact, Irvin didn't mention hardware at all.
    0
  • SFA
    Keith Reeder wrote:
    SFA wrote:
    I realise that Keith but in the end one has the opportunity, usually at least in Windows world, to keep older hardware running for some time.

    No dispute from me that old hardware and software can have some life left in them, but Irvin's point - in its proper context - remains valid: that old software will eventually stop working on newer machines and operating systems, especially as more developers stop supporting 32 bit operating systems, which - to use an Americanism - is a clear and present "danger".

    In fact, Irvin didn't mention hardware at all.


    Indeed, but in the context of "life" for software, especially running older software, one can't really just ignore it.

    That said for a couple of programs I still run an old desk top Sony machine that I bought back in 2003. It was XP but now uses Win 7 but not updated for years. It's not connected to the internet.

    One of the applications I still use was discontinued years ago. It was a "2004" titled release and iirc they never released another version of it. It's an accounting package. Still satisfies my basic needs. These days the company only offers subscription licenses. And much more expensive and complex software that I just do not need.
    0
  • Graham-Hill
    20%, 30%,
    I agree, they betray their costumers I'll remain it when they will make marketing for capture n°21..
    0
  • Ian Leslie
    Irvin.Gomez wrote:
    I stopped buying upgrades after v11 because it’s just too expensive, far more than the more complete PS/LR subscription. As simple as that. And, no, the ‘perpetual license’ argument is just bs for dumb customers: most versions don’t work with newer operating systems, so there is absolutely no value and your ‘perpetual license’ does have an expiration date.


    I call bs on your BS. You tore down the straw man. The argument in favour of perpetual license is you get to decide if and when to pay the cost of upgrading. Us "pay once, use a long as you like" fans are totally aware that new cameras and new OSs may require new versions. We get that - in fact that is the whole point - we want to decide when to upgrade our hardware, camera, software and OS and control our expenses.

    For example in 2011 I bought a new camera and in 2013 a new computer I have been using them ever since. I could have also been using the version of LR or C1 I bought back then too. I can choose where and when I spend my money upgrades and I still have access to all my files. If I choose not to spend everything still works and I do not loose the ability to work with my files.

    Just to be clear - just in case it is not - I am *not* anti subscription. If that works for you great. Fantastic even. Perhaps you could extend us the same courtesy and perhaps refrain from calling us dumb 😄
    0
  • Wesley
    Keith Reeder wrote:
    Wesley wrote:
    No subscription option for CS6, everyone must have a license. Safe to assume a pro retoucher uses Photoshop. Odd assumption?

    Yep - I personally know plenty of people (myself included) who jumped from an older version of PhotoShop to the subscription model, bypassing CS6 completely.

    I suppose I should have been less specific by saying PS license instead of CS6.
    0
  • NB
    I signed up for the beta and accepted NDA, but still can't find a link explaining the system requirements and what new cameras it is compatible with. All I want to know if it will work on my existing system and if it will support Canon M6ii.
    0
  • Alexey Ivanov
    how many seats do they offer in version 20 if upgradin from version 12, does anybody knows? and where the hell is version 20 already?????)))))
    0
  • Ian Wilson
    Payne wrote:
    how many seats do they offer in version 20 if upgradin from version 12, does anybody knows? and where the hell is version 20 already?????)))))

    I imagine that the number of seats would be no different from the 3 installations for outright purchase that it has been for some time now, though I have no inside information on that.

    Ian
    0
  • Alexey Ivanov
    well...20 is released...nothing new...sad...
    0
  • Alexey Ivanov
    make color editor basic circle great again!!!!!
    0
  • Denis Mortell
    A tad underwhelmed, I have to say.

    Not sure how to install it. Is it an upgrade install via my existing version 12, or a separate install? I've already paid for it.

    Thanks.

    D.
    0
  • Alexey Ivanov
    separate install, as always
    0
  • Clau_S
    Ian3 wrote:
    Payne wrote:
    how many seats do they offer in version 20 if upgradin from version 12, does anybody knows? and where the hell is version 20 already?????)))))

    I imagine that the number of seats would be no different from the 3 installations for outright purchase that it has been for some time now, though I have no inside information on that.

    Ian


    I confirm 3 activations
    0
  • Denis Mortell
    Odd....

    After logging in to PhaseOne..

    Under Software License I see the key for v.12.

    But, under Online Order History, I only see my purchase of v.10 upgrade in 2017 and nothing subsequently.

    While my purchase of v.20 is on my credit card, I cannot find an email with a license key.

    Just emailed Support.

    D.
    0
  • Keith Reeder
    Payne wrote:
    well...20 is released...nothing new...sad...

    Maybe nothing "new" (actually there is), but plenty of it is better.

    Personally I'll take improved workflow and image quality over new toys, any day of the week.
    0
  • Aidan Wims
    I also prepaid. Received an email re new release, but no activation code. Would not activate with old key nor with the code Phaseone sent on receipt of my order. What happens next?
    0
  • Marlon
    Here my 2 cent...

    The standard cost fot the upgrade 12-to-20 is 169 Euro.
    I've pre-payed €159: a small (way too small...) difference. 🙄

    In the LICENSE MANAGEMENT area of my profile, I only see the V.12 Key.

    Clicking on PURCHASE NOW button in the Upgrade Area, a pop-up ask me to pay the full amount,

    but

    if I add the code/voucher they sent me after the Pre-Purchase, the total changes to ZERO. 😉

    I did the "purchase" and got the new code (both on screen and by mail).

    After that, if I went back to the LICENSE MANAGEMENT area I see a blank list, and starting my C1 v.12, I see that the license has been deactivated.
    To reactivate it, I used the new V.20 Key (that now I see listed in my License Mgmt page).

    Hope this could be helpful 😊
    0
  • Denis Mortell
    If I was send an email after my upgrade purchase in last October (my credit card receipt says October 29th) I can't find it.

    Have been onto Support about this. No response re sending me a copy of that email with upgrade code.

    🤬

    D.
    0
  • Robert Whetton
    Well I won't be upgrading unless they put the ability to adjust the sliders with mouse wheel back in.
    0
  • Ian Wilson
    Bobtographer wrote:
    Well I won't be upgrading unless they put the ability to adjust the sliders with mouse wheel back in.

    There is an option for that, I believe.

    Ian
    0
  • Ian Leslie
    Bobtographer wrote:
    Well I won't be upgrading unless they put the ability to adjust the sliders with mouse wheel back in.


    <alt> mouse wheel according to the video I just watched 😄
    0
  • Denis Mortell
    Now waiting three hours for a reply to my email about my "voucher code".

    Can't use C1 coz I'm staring at an Activate Capture One dialog.

    Not a happy camper.

    Wishing I'd...

    a. Downloaded the beta and seen the improvements for myself. Could probably have stayed with v.12

    b. Waited until Black Friday, which I will certainly do next year.

    😕

    D.
    0
  • Keith Reeder
    You need to follow these instructions, Dinarius:

    https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004099138-How-to-use-your-Capture-One-20-pre-order-code
    0
  • Denis Mortell
    Sorted.

    I went to the website of the company that was dealing with C1 online payments.

    I filled in an online form detailing my October transaction.

    A copy email was sent with the License Code and I was able to activate C1.

    No thanks to PhaseOne support on this occasion.

    So, let's see if it's any better...

    D.
    0

Please sign in to leave a comment.