Relocating-Renaming: CO12 lost part of my catalog

Comments

5 comments

  • Paul Steunebrink
    Was it just that you like to vent your frustration or do you need help or advice? I am not sure what you want from your post.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Gatsu81
    [quote="Paul_Steunebrink" wrote:
    Was it just that you like to vent your frustration or do you need help or advice? I am not sure what you want from your post.

    Well I don't need any advice, but I would also like to give an input for something that needs to be taken care of. I think that both developers and users should know there is an issue with the catalog that is potentially harmful and causing loss of work and time.

    Seemed like the kind of thing could be of common interest, isn't it?
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • SFA
    [quote="Gatsu81" wrote:
    [quote="Paul_Steunebrink" wrote:
    Was it just that you like to vent your frustration or do you need help or advice? I am not sure what you want from your post.

    Well I don't need any advice, but I would also like to give an input for something that needs to be taken care of. I think that both developers and users should know there is an issue with the catalog that is potentially harmful and causing loss of work and time.

    Seemed like the kind of thing could be of common interest, isn't it?


    Have you created a Support Case?

    I found your description quite difficult to focus on and follow (not a criticism - just an observation that that it's not always easy to describe something that you, as the writer, know very well in a way that can engage others to a full understanding). However I have a feeling that you may be missing something in the process.

    It might also be useful to know if you are working on Mac or PC.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Gatsu81
    [quote="SFA" wrote:
    Have you created a Support Case?

    I found your description quite difficult to focus on and follow (not a criticism - just an observation that that it's not always easy to describe something that you, as the writer, know very well in a way that can engage others to a full understanding). However I have a feeling that you may be missing something in the process.

    It might also be useful to know if you are working on Mac or PC.

    I understand that my explanation may be not so easy to follow, also given that - as I guess it's clear - I'm not a native English speaker, so to describe a long series of facts doesn't come so natural and it's not exactly flowing well.

    I'm talking about the Windows version and I will try to open a Support Case: even though I don't see any way that I can repair lost informations - and I've already re-imported everything - I guess it could still be useful to know for the developers.

    I actually came to the forum via the support page, without noticing any other way to contact support, so I would already have done that, now I checked again and probably I found something I missed the first time. Thanks for the hint.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • SFA
    [quote="Gatsu81" wrote:
    [quote="SFA" wrote:
    Have you created a Support Case?

    I found your description quite difficult to focus on and follow (not a criticism - just an observation that that it's not always easy to describe something that you, as the writer, know very well in a way that can engage others to a full understanding). However I have a feeling that you may be missing something in the process.

    It might also be useful to know if you are working on Mac or PC.

    I understand that my explanation may be not so easy to follow, also given that - as I guess it's clear - I'm not a native English speaker, so to describe a long series of facts doesn't come so natural and it's not exactly flowing well.

    I'm talking about the Windows version and I will try to open a Support Case: even though I don't see any way that I can repair lost informations - and I've already re-imported everything - I guess it could still be useful to know for the developers.

    I actually came to the forum via the support page, without noticing any other way to contact support, so I would already have done that, now I checked again and probably I found something I missed the first time. Thanks for the hint.


    Yes, I do appreciate the difficulties. Processes that are not working as planned (or maybe have such flexibility that the "planning" part can be difficult) can be extremely difficult to describe so that others can follow the description and feel confident that they understand it well. Even when first languages are the same!

    For Support Case the recently introduced system is based in eMail communications and you can start that process one most of the Support area screens using the "Submit Request" link near the top right hand corner.

    For what it is worth when I moved things to my NAS for the first time it seemed that I had to identify the folders on the NAS and make them visible at various levels in order for them to be included. I think it was a question of access rights related to the systems in built security for ownership of files on a user by user basis and also for remote access via the internet.

    Now if I copy more stuff to the NAS I mostly send it to an existing folder structure that is set to alolow new sub-folder to inherit the access rights from those above.

    The problem I have found is that the NAS is not especially fast even when directly connected so things can take a while.

    This was true for loading some archives from external USB3 drives when I started the implementation and now via Wi-FIi(I do not have a convenient way to connect my Broadband router directly to the NAS via cable as that are located in different places. The Wi-Fi connections seems to perform well enough for occasional use for editing, If I am archiving now (I use sessions ) I can easily set the copy running and do something else for a few minutes to give it the option to transfer (and internally save to 2 disks and index the files) without a negative effect on my workload.

    That comment leads me to my earlier comment about understaning your process.

    On my NAS I have a main folder for user acccess with subfolders and a further subfolder structure into whcih I can copy an existing complete Session. That session, usually set up for a single shoot, will use the default session folder structure which makes it entirely self contained. (Like a "Managed" catalog.) I can set the copy to be the top level folder for the session and all of the sub folders will be copied to the NAS.

    Some of my Sessions use "referenced" folders ("Favourites in C1 terminology.) and that presents a different challenge as they will not be moved with the session folder structure and I would not always want them to be moved. So I have to work out how to manage those separately. For example they may be accessed by more than one session or catalog (if I used catalogs).

    Moving them using commands from inside their associated session or catalog should allow the links to the folders and files to be maintained. If you move them in bulk using the OS they will need to be re-linked afterwards when you advice C1 where to find them.

    However in your example, If I understood well enough, you have a foolder structure based in Year with some subfolders.

    C1 is linking to the lowest level of subfolder for the referenced files as it is the only way that it can be certain to connect a specific file to the edits applied to it.

    For your needs it might be better to copy over at the Year folder level (at the system OS level?) and then use the Locate function in C1 to re-link the copied files.

    It also sounds like the NAS has applied automatic organisation that further confuses the search for a relatively simple copy then "locate" solution.hat just an overlay for the use of NAS based applications or has it really messade with the folder structure you copied to it?

    If you are using "Managed" catalog that should be more like my self contained Sessions activity.

    However as I recall there are some limitiations in my NAS system internal file structure in terms of the number of folder supported at any level. I do not remember the exact details since they did not look like restirctions I would ever reach with my data BUT it may be possible they might affect your needs and what you have seen so far. It might be worth checking if only to be sure that it is not likely to be a problem.

    By the way, when you write

    "Having to move from the first series of paths to the second one, I started and was arount 150 folders in when I stopped, closed CO backing up the catalog and saved it for later. So, on z:\appoggio_foto there are still a bit more than 250 folders to move... and they were on the catalog as well.

    Now though, I open CO again and... surprise! In z:\appoggio_foto there are no more subfolders! Nothing, zip, nada."

    Should we understand that you were copying the folders one by one at this time and using the C1 catalogue to move or copy them?

    And that the first 150 folder had copied successfully and were listed correctly at their new location in the catalog as far as C1 was reporting? But then, after closing C1 and re-opening, there was nothing?

    Were the folders still where you expected them to be on the NAS at this time?

    Did C1 give any error messages?

    For what it is worth I fully understand the challenges of organisation.

    I realised that my old plug in back up drives might well have multiple copies of certain folders after backups of backups as new, larger, drivers were obtained over the years.

    After I had copied most of them to the NAS I ran an analysis for duplicate files (by name - not 100% reliable for being unique in times long past) and was surprised to find that some of the older files were reported with a count of 28 duplicates.

    I'm not sure that is correct - but it might be for a few files I suppose due to bulk copying and full disk backups in duplicate. I really must get around to eliminating the duplication. It is getting to the point where I need to free up some disk space in order to be able to process the second of my two external backup drives used before the NAS arrived. I have two external drives which were intended to be identical copies but there will be some anomalies after several years of use and using the NAS to do the analysis seemed like the easiest way to do the analysis AND create a better archive facility.

    As usual with such ideas this has become a never ending project ... so I have some understanding of your starting point and the potential challenges for working through a plan for improvement.


    Grant
    0
    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.