Skip to main content

Smart album based on keyword(s)

Comments

6 comments

  • OddS.
    Hi Ian,

    Just an observation from a Win10-platform.

    I created a test catalog and imported a handful images. No insects, just buildings, boats and seagulls at the local seaside, nonetheless I put hierarchical keywords insect>butterfly on about half of the images and insect>dragonfly on the remaining. Filter works as you explained, but none of two smart albums (Butterflies and Dragonflies) show any images if I use the hierarchical notation (insect>butterfly and insect>dragonfly) in the smart album search criteria.

    Setting the smart album Butterflies search criteria to just butterfly works as expected. Same for dragonfly.
    Setting Match=All and two separate keywords (insect and butterfly) in the search criteria works for the Butterflies smart album. Match=All and providing two separate keywords (insect and dragonfly) works for the Dragonflies smart album.

    I know a "works for me" comment like this is not much help. Further, I don't use C1 in catalog mode and I don't maintain metadata in C1, so don't trust me in this matter.
    0
  • Ian Wilson
    Moderator
    Top Commenter
    Thanks. I'll try the approach with two separate keywords Insect and dragonfly. (NB: in neither case was I trying to search on Insect>dragonfly or Insect>butterfly. Just butterfly by itself which works and dragonfly by itself which doesn't.)

    Ian
    0
  • Ian Wilson
    Moderator
    Top Commenter
    I have solved this, though the solution doesn't make much sense.

    If I change "contains" to one of the other options such as "equals" or "does not contain" and then change it back again to "contains" then the dragonfly images get picked up perfectly well!

    I have even managed to do what I really wanted which was to create an album of dragonflies and damselflies, by having any of the criteria Keywords contains dragonfly or Keywords contains damselfly. But again, to get the damselflies included, I had to change from contains to something else and then back to contains to get it to pick up the damselflies.

    So now I am happy but confused!

    Ian
    0
  • OddS.
    Ian3 wrote:
    ...If I change "contains" to one of the other options such as "equals" or "does not contain" and then change it back again to "contains" then the dragonfly images get picked up perfectly well!


    Sounds like a bug to me, I think you should report it.
    0
  • SFA
    Ian,

    I think this is something to do with cleaning the cache after a search.

    In effect, I THINK, some of the search activity can be retained as a the base selection from which further searches/filters are then applied.

    Completely closing one filter (and making sure it is closed by re-reading an unfiltered folder or album or something, seems to work. (At least on Windows 7 it does.)

    Some of this SQL stuff can become seriously confusing and that comment is not just about C1.

    Bear in mind that a search can be using active filters, over all "And/Or" selections for the searches/filters with multiple selection criteria and multiple multiple selection criteria grouped with either AND or OR

    Plus whatever existing Image selection one may have made that represents its own kind of 'filter'.

    I have had similar experiences to yours and as yet could not document exactly how to deal with them in all situations but can usually end up with what I am looking to achieve and expect. When I don't I think it's down to user error in some way but sometimes I think its some sort of foible in the way the search works through its caching process.


    Grant
    0
  • Ian Wilson
    Moderator
    Top Commenter
    Thanks.

    Ian
    0

Please sign in to leave a comment.