Thumbnail issues

Commentaires

18 commentaires

  • Jeff Talbert
    I have spent a lot of time on find out what's going on.

    Using some tips from other posts, I have showed package contents and see that C1 generates the previews but does not generate corresponding thumbnails.

    The only way I can get C1 to generate a thumbnail is to go into browser mode and slowing scroll through my photos while the external drive is attached to allow C1 enough time to generate a thumbnail.

    At this time, and only at this time, does the file count in the cache/thumbnail increase.


    The files generated in the catalog.

    Two files in the cache previews folder.
    .cop files are around 5mb
    .coe are around 70k

    Then in the cache/thumbnail folder when that file is created it
    .cot are about 22k

    Anyone else encountering this issue? I spent 1+ hours last night scrolling through a 3k photo catalog to have it generate previews for all the photos in the catalog, which took a while but the end result was I had thumbnails.

    My biggest issue with this process is C1 is not able to generate a thumbnail from the .cop file. Your only able to create a thumbnail if you have the external drive attached for C1 to generate it from the original file.

    I have 40-60k other photos on a few other catalogs I want to move over to C1 from LR but scared to do that migration as I am would not be able to scan my photos from thumbnails to locate photos unless the drive is attached.

    Thanks.
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • Paul Steunebrink
    I suggest you get back to support and report that the issue is still persistent in CO12.
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • SFA
    Your external drive was available to the system whilst the thumbnails were being generated presumably?

    The .cop field are the Previews
    the .coe files likely the edit instructions

    the .cot files will be the thumbnails as you have already identified.

    It would probably be useful to run a test on a catalogue using files that are retained on an internal drive to see if the problem persists then. It might help to narrow down the source of the problem.

    Also useful to look at the Log files. But it may need the Phase people to fully interpret the info available.


    Grant
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • Jeff Talbert
    [quote="SFA" wrote:
    Your external drive was available to the system whilst the thumbnails were being generated presumably?

    The .cop field are the Previews
    the .coe files likely the edit instructions

    the .cot files will be the thumbnails as you have already identified.

    It would probably be useful to run a test on a catalogue using files that are retained on an internal drive to see if the problem persists then. It might help to narrow down the source of the problem.

    Also useful to look at the Log files. But it may need the Phase people to fully interpret the info available.


    Grant


    Thanks. Yes my external drive is connected while thumbnails and previews are created.

    I have created 5 catalogs, I have recreated 2 catalog 3 times each, with different names and different import methods. Both importing from an old LR catalog and also, creating a new folder on my external drive, Moving my photos to that new folder, away from the LR catalog and same results.

    No matter how I create a catalog or import photos or have it create preview. it will not create any thumbnails at all, unless I am in browser view and slowly scroll through the browser.

    I do have an open ticket with PO and I have sent them detailed information on what I have done and different things I have tried. Sounds like I am the lucky one that thumbnails are not created.

    I had imported photos into a brand new catalog, let It run over night. It completed early this morning and between the time to completion ended and I woke up in the morning, not a single thumbnail was created even though I have not touched my Mac or disconnected my external drive. I am a tech person and have gone through many trouble shooting steps I can think of with no different result. I hope to hear back from PO soon.

    Thanks.
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • SFA
    [quote="NNN636779189950064234" wrote:
    [quote="SFA" wrote:
    Your external drive was available to the system whilst the thumbnails were being generated presumably?

    The .cop field are the Previews
    the .coe files likely the edit instructions

    the .cot files will be the thumbnails as you have already identified.

    It would probably be useful to run a test on a catalogue using files that are retained on an internal drive to see if the problem persists then. It might help to narrow down the source of the problem.

    Also useful to look at the Log files. But it may need the Phase people to fully interpret the info available.


    Grant


    Thanks. Yes my external drive is connected while thumbnails and previews are created.

    I have created 5 catalogs, I have recreated 2 catalog 3 times each, with different names and different import methods. Both importing from an old LR catalog and also, creating a new folder on my external drive, Moving my photos to that new folder, away from the LR catalog and same results.

    No matter how I create a catalog or import photos or have it create preview. it will not create any thumbnails at all, unless I am in browser view and slowly scroll through the browser.

    I do have an open ticket with PO and I have sent them detailed information on what I have done and different things I have tried. Sounds like I am the lucky one that thumbnails are not created.

    I had imported photos into a brand new catalog, let It run over night. It completed early this morning and between the time to completion ended and I woke up in the morning, not a single thumbnail was created even though I have not touched my Mac or disconnected my external drive. I am a tech person and have gone through many trouble shooting steps I can think of with no different result. I hope to hear back from PO soon.

    Thanks.


    Well, that certainly sounds very odd.

    I'm not a Mac user but I have heard of such a think reported before ( I do read the Mac parts of the forum) and have never seen it in a Windows environment.

    Does your recent overnight run therefore suggest that not even a few thumbnails were created?

    Most strange.


    Grant
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • Jeff Talbert
    [quote="SFA" wrote:
    [quote="NNN636779189950064234" wrote:
    [quote="SFA" wrote:


    Well, that certainly sounds very odd.

    I'm not a Mac user but I have heard of such a think reported before ( I do read the Mac parts of the forum) and have never seen it in a Windows environment.

    Does you recent overnight run therefore suggest that not even a few thumbnails were created?

    Most strange.


    Grant


    Yes, Not a single thumbnail is created. As I sit here, typing this. I have CO open with one of my catalogs. It has not processed a single image to create a preview. It created 53 thumbnails, but only for images I viewed through the browser as I scrolled through the browser looking at photos. Its been 10 minutes and not a single thumbnail has been created in the past 10 minutes.

    It is very odd. I can understand one of my catalog maybe, photos are 10+ years old, and most all are JPG's and may are so small that CO imports them as read only. I thought maybe having some read only photos in the catalog might be causing a problem. But the catalog I have open now, and had open recently, have little or no JPGs and the ones they have, are all large enough, I don't have any files that are read only. So will be interesting what PO comes back to me with.
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • Carl Thompson
    I imported a Media Pro Catalog into Capture One Pro 11(50,000 images) and all was well until I updated to Capture One Pro 12. Now I have your problem. I have only a few thumbnails. However if I click on a blank thumbnail, then the preview appears in the Viewer. My images are on a seperate Hard drive. I contacted support and they suggested I regenerate the previews (with the external drive connected obviously)
    However I have not found a way to regenerate previews for multiple images - only one image at a time. I tried selecting all the images and hitting Image/regenerate previews, but it only did the one image selected in the Viewer. So I went into preferences and changed the preview size and clicked File/regenerate previews. My catalog is still working at doing this - not sure if it will create all the thumbnails or not. My Catalogue with previews 2156 px is about 65 GB. It is also very slow at responding, unlike my old Media Pro Catalog. I do not think Capture One Pro is the way to go with large numbers of images
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • Ian Wilson
    [quote="CT4" wrote:

    However I have not found a way to regenerate previews for multiple images - only one image at a time. I tried selecting all the images and hitting Image/regenerate previews, but it only did the one image selected in the Viewer.


    You need to select all the images you want regenerated (Cmd-A) and probably also turn on the toggle to edit all selected images (the 3 rectangle icon on the toolbar). And it will take some time.

    Ian
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • Carl Thompson
    Regenerating previews did not fix the issue of missing thumbnail content. Suggest you find another Catalog system for large numbers of images. Capture One Pro is not a replacement for Media Pro yet. Not sure what is unfortunately.
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • Carl Thompson
    [quote="Ian3" wrote:
    [quote="CT4" wrote:

    However I have not found a way to regenerate previews for multiple images - only one image at a time. I tried selecting all the images and hitting Image/regenerate previews, but it only did the one image selected in the Viewer.


    You need to select all the images you want regenerated (Cmd-A) and probably also turn on the toggle to edit all selected images (the 3 rectangle icon on the toolbar). And it will take some time.

    Ian


    Hi - yes I did that. The 3-image icon was selected.
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • Jeff Talbert
    Glad to see its not just me. So maybe they will do something about it.

    I had the problem first with C1 11. I downloaded the trial and tried to import a LR catalog. When I had this issue, I thought maybe it was something with my LR catalog import so I created a new catalog and just imported the photos. No luck there either.

    Support said because I was using Mojave there are bugs. So when 12 came out I was hopeful. But nope.

    Many many photographers store their originals on external media. Thumbnail creation should be an active part of the preview generating process. They don't have it generate the thumbnails to cut down on the import time probably. But if I am spending 4-6+ hour to import and generate previews for a catalog, I am happy to wait an additional hour to have it generate thumbnails.

    I think the stupidest part is. If you have your photos on an external drive. You have the previews created, and your external drive is not connected. Capture One does NOT have the capabilities to generate a thumbnail from the preview it creates. The preview is by default 2560 pixel, more than large enough to generate a thumbnail. Heck the preview file is the type that if the photo is offline,

    I hope Phase One gives thumbnail issue a high priority.

    I told the support person this.

    If your a photographer who is looking at switching to another program for cataloging and processing of your photos, if the program your looking at will not generate thumbnails so you can view the photos in your catalog if your photo's are offline. Would you spend money on a "Professional" program such as that?

    I think CO is an amazing program, I am loving the end results and the way it processes photos. I want to buy it but man. I need thumbnails.
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • SFA
    All the reports of the problem appear to realte wot importing pre-existing catalogues form other systesm.

    Has anyone seen the probelm creating a new catalogue with images unconnected with a prevous alternative catalogue system?

    Or when importing completely new images to an existing C1 catalogue whether that catalogue was converted from another application or created new in C1?


    Grant
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • Jeff Talbert
    [quote="SFA" wrote:
    All the reports of the problem appear to realte wot importing pre-existing catalogues form other systesm.

    Has anyone seen the probelm creating a new catalogue with images unconnected with a prevous alternative catalogue system?

    Or when importing completely new images to an existing C1 catalogue whether that catalogue was converted from another application or created new in C1?


    Grant


    Let me ask you this. When you import photos into a program such as LR, Does it edit or modify the original file, for Nikon NEF that could cause in import problem?

    I have crated new catalogs a few times. Copied my Original files from the LR folder, to a new folder Called Capture One Files, and then imported the photos from that new folder and still have the issue.

    As I write this. I am doing this again. On another Mac, I installed CO12 trial. I have my files on another backup hard drive which I have with me and copying the photos, photos only. I unchecked the import existing adjustments to see what happens. It will take another hour or so to finish importing.

    I will take some photos new photos, and create another new catalog, these will be virgin files that have never been imported at all and see if I still have the issue or not.

    I am curious and want to have this fixed and I want to do what I can to help Phase One find the issue and fix it.
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • Carl Thompson
    I created a new catalog from scratch - I had the images on an external hard drive. So this was not an import from another program such as Media Pro. The catalog is a lot smaller also. However the problem still exists. My preview size is 2560. But only some of the thumbnails are generated. Again, when clicking the thumbnail, it appears along with the preview. Otherwise the thumbnail is blank - rendering the catalog useless for sorting.
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • Paul Steunebrink
    [quote="CT4" wrote:
    I created a new catalog from scratch - I had the images on an external hard drive. So this was not an import from another program such as Media Pro. The catalog is a lot smaller also. However the problem still exists. My preview size is 2560. But only some of the thumbnails are generated. Again, when clicking the thumbnail, it appears along with the preview. Otherwise the thumbnail is blank - rendering the catalog useless for sorting.

    Contact support on this and let us know so that we can help others too.
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • evgeny buzov
    Any solution found?
    I have exact the same issue with thumbnails on co12+mojave+external drive
    only 18K thumbnails are created for over 80K catalog
    Thanks!
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • SFA
    It seems the common factor is an external drive - or have I missed an example that in NOT an external drive?

    Are there any operating system settings or external drive settings that might somehow force and external drive to go into something like ECO or sleep mode after a certain period of time no matter what it might be doing at the time or if it appeared to be in a period of inactivity?

    Or something like that ...

    I'm not a Mac user so have no idea about the Mac facilities.

    However I do have a couple of external drive for my PC that I sometimes use and a NAS on a Wi-FI connection and all three of those will sometimes drop into a form of hibernation if they think they have been inactive for a while.

    However since I use sessions and have not needed to converted any large catalogues from other sources I have never, so far as I can recall, had a problem generating thumbnails unless some other more obvious system problem affected the entire process. And I don't recall any issues when I tested importing a session from files on the NAS although it's not something I do regularly as I prefer to create sessions on my notebook for better performance, copying to the NAS later for backup and then archive.

    The only other possibility I can think of that might give consistent results on working through a catalogue conversion would be that the process stops at a file or files that are for some reason incompatible with C1 processing. Logically it would be better to skip those files but there may be some sort of retry process that gets lost in repetition.

    If working with a system that, set up in a similar way with a external drive, does NOT produce the same problem it could be very difficult to reproduce by attempting to guess possible causes and test for them.

    Likewise any log file entries might just stop giving no clue about the cause - only the possible timing of the even that paused or ended the process.

    If it is a problem with certain files then one might reasonably expect the same issue to arise when running an internal conversion.
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien
  • Wayne Hunter
    Anyone found a solution for this problem. I am using CO 12 on a MacBook Pro. Previews seem to exist, I click on a empty thumbnail on the browser and an image pops up but no thumbnail in the browser. Using the internal drive. Rebuild previews does nothing for the problem. Random selection of thumbnails in browser. Same problem with old imports and fresh import.
    0
    Actions pour les commentaires Permalien

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.