Aller au contenu principal

Mac OS 10.13.4

Commentaires

24 commentaires

  • Tim Trim
    Managed to create a new catalog despite crashing during creation.
    Opened the new catalog and ran a repair on the dodgy one.
    Now working but not sure if related to the background checks and nVidia/standard gfx driver switch forced by OS update.
    0
  • Harry25
    For me it worked without any issues.
    First time I opened C1 after the update it did the "setting up hardware acceleration" ritual, and that was it.
    I'm on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) with the Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB.
    0
  • Christian Gruner
    Please note that there is yet no official support for 10.13.4 in latest CO (11.0.1).
    0
  • Emile Gregoire
    [quote="Christian Gruner" wrote:
    Please note that there is yet no official support for 10.13.4 in latest CO (11.0.1).


    I think we're still waiting for official support for 10.13.3, right?
    0
  • Harry25
    [quote="Christian Gruner" wrote:
    Please note that there is yet no official support for 10.13.4 in latest CO (11.0.1).

    I hope we never get to hear such a statement from the "official" C1 support...
    All these minor updates are available for weeks if not months to developers, for the purpose of also testing compatibility with their apps.
    If we were to wait for the developer of every app we ran on our computers to "officially" support every minor update, we would never get to update our OS.
    This argument is usually used from support teams to justify pretty much anything and buy some time to resolve bugs that are 99% unrelated to the OS update.

    The burden of ensuring compatibility and smooth operation should be on the developer of the app and not the end users.
    Even for major OS updates, this is exactly why OS makers have even longer beta periods and GM seeds.

    In any case,I think this is a mute point anyway, as I've been using C1 since version 4, and have always updated my OS with all major and minor updated immediately as they were released (without waiting for "official" support statements from C1), without ever running into any OS related issues.
    0
  • Christian Gruner
    [quote="Harry25" wrote:
    [quote="Christian Gruner" wrote:
    Please note that there is yet no official support for 10.13.4 in latest CO (11.0.1).

    I hope we never get to hear such a statement from the "official" C1 support...
    All these minor updates are available for weeks if not months to developers, for the purpose of also testing compatibility with their apps.
    If we were to wait for the developer of every app we ran on our computers to "officially" support every minor update, we would never get to update our OS.
    This argument is usually used from support teams to justify pretty much anything and buy some time to resolve bugs that are 99% unrelated to the OS update.

    The burden of ensuring compatibility and smooth operation should be on the developer of the app and not the end users.
    Even for major OS updates, this is exactly why OS makers have even longer beta periods and GM seeds.

    In any case,I think this is a mute point anyway, as I've been using C1 since version 4, and have always updated my OS with all major and minor updated immediately as they were released (without waiting for "official" support statements from C1), without ever running into any OS related issues.


    Thank you for being onboard since v4. Then you also know that we come out with compatibility fixes in due time. CO is highly dependent upon deep CPU/GPU hardware instructions, Apple drivers, and Apple frameworks. These changes from time to time. If you haven't noticed any of these, that's good, however they do pop-up now and then.

    Apple have a pretty bad track-record of making major changes late in their betas. While we could go and fix some of their issues with their beta from our standpoint, we could end up having more bugs in CO, when they fix their bugs in the final release.
    0
  • Harry25
    I understand what you're trying to say, but I'm not sure what you're suggesting.
    Are you saying that we shouldn't install any updates until we get some sort of official notice that the update is supported?
    Does that happen? (I've never seen such a notice, but I haven't looked for them to be honest)?
    Is so, how soon after each update is released ?

    thank you,
    0
  • ---
    [quote="Christian Gruner" wrote:
    [quote="Harry25" wrote:
    [quote="Christian Gruner" wrote:
    Please note that there is yet no official support for 10.13.4 in latest CO (11.0.1).

    I hope we never get to hear such a statement from the "official" C1 support...
    All these minor updates are available for weeks if not months to developers, for the purpose of also testing compatibility with their apps.
    If we were to wait for the developer of every app we ran on our computers to "officially" support every minor update, we would never get to update our OS.
    This argument is usually used from support teams to justify pretty much anything and buy some time to resolve bugs that are 99% unrelated to the OS update.

    The burden of ensuring compatibility and smooth operation should be on the developer of the app and not the end users.
    Even for major OS updates, this is exactly why OS makers have even longer beta periods and GM seeds.

    In any case,I think this is a mute point anyway, as I've been using C1 since version 4, and have always updated my OS with all major and minor updated immediately as they were released (without waiting for "official" support statements from C1), without ever running into any OS related issues.


    Thank you for being onboard since v4. Then you also know that we come out with compatibility fixes in due time. CO is highly dependent upon deep CPU/GPU hardware instructions, Apple drivers, and Apple frameworks. These changes from time to time. If you haven't noticed any of these, that's good, however they do pop-up now and then.

    Apple have a pretty bad track-record of making major changes late in their betas. While we could go and fix some of their issues with their beta from our standpoint, we could end up having more bugs in CO, when they fix their bugs in the final release.



    hm same old story, what other software developer can accomplish fast and without blaming apple seems an ongoing challenge for phase one. may I suggest you add more resources to you development team to fix this.
    0
  • Christian Gruner
    [quote="Harry25" wrote:
    I understand what you're trying to say, but I'm not sure what you're suggesting.
    Are you saying that we shouldn't install any updates until we get some sort of official notice that the update is supported?
    Does that happen? (I've never seen such a notice, but I haven't looked for them to be honest)?
    Is so, how soon after each update is released ?

    thank you,


    If you are running a critical production, then hold off a few months.

    Other than that, always test your own workflow on a non-essential machine before updating the OS. Most times you don't gain a lot by upgrading your OS, so it can usually wait.
    0
  • ---
    ...so we should not update osx which all the bugfixes and security improvements because phaseone is never ready ? I could do it because I have more the one machine in my studio but many of your customer have just one Mac and to recommend to wait is with all respect a BS advice and against reason with all security issues we face today !

    what would you think if someone recommends not to update your software which alway comes with a oversee-able set of improvements but a lot of bugs ? I don't know any other software company in the Mac world which constantly blames apple for doing their job, maybe you concentrate on windows only when maintaining osx is such a burden.
    0
  • Robert Farhi
    My experience is : never jump on a minor update when it has just been advertised.
    0
  • Christian Gruner
    [quote="Horseoncowboy " wrote:
    ...so we should not update osx which all the bugfixes and security improvements because phaseone is never ready ? I could do it because I have more the one machine in my studio but many of your customer have just one Mac and to recommend to wait is with all respect a BS advice and against reason with all security issues we face today !

    what would you think if someone recommends not to update your software which alway comes with a oversee-able set of improvements but a lot of bugs ? I don't know any other software company in the Mac world which constantly blames apple for doing their job, maybe you concentrate on windows only when maintaining osx is such a burden.


    This is standard practice when it comes to software (OS or Apps), especially when it comes production environments.
    Changes are that very few encounter problems, but some might.
    Security issues are generally addressed with patches both Win and Mac, which means that you do not have to update to the newest OS dot version to get them.
    0
  • Harry25
    [quote="Christian Gruner" wrote:
    [quote="Horseoncowboy " wrote:
    ...so we should not update osx which all the bugfixes and security improvements because phaseone is never ready ? I could do it because I have more the one machine in my studio but many of your customer have just one Mac and to recommend to wait is with all respect a BS advice and against reason with all security issues we face today !

    what would you think if someone recommends not to update your software which alway comes with a oversee-able set of improvements but a lot of bugs ? I don't know any other software company in the Mac world which constantly blames apple for doing their job, maybe you concentrate on windows only when maintaining osx is such a burden.


    This is standard practice when it comes to software (OS or Apps), especially when it comes production environments.
    Changes are that very few encounter problems, but some might.
    Security issues are generally addressed with patches both Win and Mac, which means that you do not have to update to the newest OS dot version to get them.


    I'm sorry, but the more you insist on this, the less sense you make.
    Even if we were to follow your advice, that would mean that we should wait for your official support statement for each update.
    (I assume this is KB 1337 [https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1337&languageid=1], as you didn't answer my question about where the official supported versions are listed).
    As Emile said, this document was last updated on Jan 10, and says v11 is only compatible with up to 10.13.2.
    10.13.3 was released on Jan 23 and more than 2 months later it's still not listed as supported.
    That can mean either of 2 things:
    #1) There are issues running C1 under 10.13.3
    #2) No-one bothered to check and update the compatibility file

    Since I've been running C1 fine with 10.13.3 (and now 10.13.4), I must assume it's #2, which means the mentioned compatibilities don't mean much, as they don't seem to be up-to-date.
    So you can't have it both ways: We understand that an OS update might break an app, but it should be very rare (especially with all the beta cycles). But instructing users to not keep their OSs up-to-date for months just to play it safe, is really bad advice in my books. Sure, holding off for a few days makes sense as usual, but that means that during those first days, you need to be working hard to test for any issues and inform your users accordingly.
    0
  • ---
    the mindset behind p1´s position comes from a past where it was easy to have a dedicated computer for work only with no connection to the outside world and p1 did hold a kind of monopoly for professinal raw software, but this times are gone. the latest os update comes with official external video card support something I consider is in the best interest of many c1 user but instead of welcoming this development, offering advice on what the best options are we got once again lectured how horrible apple is. it is a fact for me that c1 is more vulneral to problems after os updates than other mac software and I think their is a reason for this. I do hope we see a change in the management philosophy behind this software and along with all this marketing BS comes real interest in user needs and wishes and I´m very convinced you can do better than adobe.

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208533
    0
  • Christian Gruner
    I cannot comment on internal procedures, but Your posts illustrates a classic problem: One sees problems, the other doesn't. One user don't understand why his bugs aren't fixed, and the other don't understand why the documentation is so slowly updated, now that just works anyway.
    We will continue to support new dot-versions of any supported OS on current major versions of CO, but we will also take the time it requires to investigate, making sure that we don't recommend users to upgrade, if there major or critical bugs present if doing so.

    If your encounter bugs in CO on currently unsupported, but finally released, OS', please contact our Support Team.
    0
  • Christian Gruner
    I cannot comment on internal procedures, but Your posts illustrates a classic problem: One sees problems, the other doesn't. One user don't understand why his bugs aren't fixed, and the other don't understand why the documentation is so slowly updated, now that just works anyway.
    We will continue to support new dot-versions of any supported OS on current major versions of CO, but we will also take the time it requires to investigate, making sure that we don't recommend users to upgrade, if there major or critical bugs present if doing so.

    If your encounter bugs in CO on currently unsupported, but finally released, OS', please contact our Support Team.
    0
  • SFA
    The Historic development approach to dealing with the potential of OS update changes causing problems was to code outside the OS or ensure that routines on which the software relied were not updated until the time was right. That would often be a major releases some years down the road.

    As an example there were and still are many applications that rely in part on using "known good" older version so of .NET, Java and other core tools and make sure they ship with them for the installations. That usually overcomes the problem or provides a fairly easy way to fix any problems that arise but the downside is that it does not deliver the new functionality which may affect security, performance, reliability or simply limit functionality.

    The world of instant software gratification will find fault with such an approach just as it will when operating very close to the sharp end of Agile development and the volatility that often occurs there.

    Threads like these will never go away no matter which approach or approaches one might take to software development strategy.

    Just my view of things of course. Other may have a different opinion.


    Grant
    0
  • ---
    [quote="Christian Gruner" wrote:
    I cannot comment on internal procedures, but Your posts illustrates a classic problem: One sees problems, the other doesn't. One user don't understand why his bugs aren't fixed, and the other don't understand why the documentation is so slowly updated, now that just works anyway.
    We will continue to support new dot-versions of any supported OS on current major versions of CO, but we will also take the time it requires to investigate, making sure that we don't recommend users to upgrade, if there major or critical bugs present if doing so.

    If your encounter bugs in CO on currently unsupported, but finally released, OS', please contact our Support Team.


    i have not created the software world we have to deal with today but I know for sure I don't want to be forced to decide if I keep my system secure by updating the os or to use a software I have payed for. there must be a way between. most developers can accomplish this without great discussions. the ball is on your side....
    0
  • Christian Gruner
    [quote="Horseoncowboy " wrote:
    [quote="Christian Gruner" wrote:
    I cannot comment on internal procedures, but Your posts illustrates a classic problem: One sees problems, the other doesn't. One user don't understand why his bugs aren't fixed, and the other don't understand why the documentation is so slowly updated, now that just works anyway.
    We will continue to support new dot-versions of any supported OS on current major versions of CO, but we will also take the time it requires to investigate, making sure that we don't recommend users to upgrade, if there major or critical bugs present if doing so.

    If your encounter bugs in CO on currently unsupported, but finally released, OS', please contact our Support Team.


    i have not created the software world we have to deal with today but I know for sure I don't want to be forced to decide if I keep my system secure by updating the os or to use a software I have payed for. there must be a way between. most developers can accomplish this without great discussions. the ball is on your side....


    Any software-house with any complex software-products will have the same challenges with OS updates, especially when relying on advanced framework functionality provided by the OS vendors.
    We will always try to optimize this flow with the mindset of having a stable and performing Capture One.
    0
  • Ross Collins
    [quote="Christian Gruner" wrote:
    If you are running a critical production, then hold off a few months.

    Months? 🤓
    0
  • ericnepean
    I'm usuallly very cautious about updating my Apple OS, they few times I've been eager it has com with problems. Apple usually comes with an OS update in about November; around about March or April I start thing about the upgrade.

    I don't see there is anything amazing in 10.13 that will change the world, but they do have AFPS which is a siginificant source of risk and apparently still a few bugs. I'm not aware of any third party SW that requires 10.13

    I will wait until 10.13.5 and watch the user complaints about OS bugs. I may not upgrade until May.

    In the meantime 10.12.6 has been very stable and reliable, and I'm still getting patches from Apple.
    0
  • tjod
    Adding to the list:

    Ran the 1013.3 > 10.13.4 update on MacPro5,1. On restart, video acceleration calibrated, no issues seen.
    0
  • Robert Farhi
    [quote="Eric Nepean" wrote:
    I'm usuallly very cautious about updating my Apple OS, they few times I've been eager it has com with problems. Apple usually comes with an OS update in about November; around about March or April I start thing about the upgrade.

    I don't see there is anything amazing in 10.13 that will change the world, but they do have AFPS which is a siginificant source of risk and apparently still a few bugs. I'm not aware of any third party SW that requires 10.13

    I will wait until 10.13.5 and watch the user complaints about OS bugs. I may not upgrade until May.

    In the meantime 10.12.6 has been very stable and reliable, and I'm still getting patches from Apple.


    +1 for all 😄
    0
  • Christian Gruner
    Please keep the tone factual. Locking this thread, as it is no longer constructive.
    0

Vous devez vous connecter pour laisser un commentaire.