In addition to importing or merging smaller Capture One Catalogs, you can also import Sessions into a Catalog. As Sessions are typically stored on the computer with the source images and adjustments, you can use this option to free up some space on your hard disk. This is a useful solution when using a laptop on location.
The Catalog references the source image files in the Session folders and imports all the necessary settings from the Session. Collections will be imported as Projects with Session Folders, Albums, and Projects preserved as individual Albums. The Capture, Selects, Trash and Output folders will also be added, as well as any folders added as Favorites. Do note that any folders outside of the session folders and Favorites will not be imported; for example, processed images in a non-Favorited subfolder will not be included. To include a folder, it must be one of the Session folders or a Favorite.
You can manage multiple Session folders from one master Catalog and continue to make new image adjustments using the Catalog. Note the original Session remains unaltered.
- Copy the parent Session folder (complete with all the source images and adjustments) to an external drive for storage or archiving.
- Open a Catalog, for example on your desktop computer that is connected to the external drive.
- Choose File -> Importa Sessione… in the main menu.
- Navigate to the enclosing Session Folder, open it, and select the database file (<name>.cosessiondb).
- Select Importa or double-click on the file to initiate the import of the variants, adjustments, and metadata. No source images within the Session sub-folders are copied or moved from their new location.
- Delete only the Session folder from your computer after verifying the images are securely backed up.