Regularly using keyboard shortcuts will dramatically improve your workflow when working with layers and when making selections.
- Switch quickly between the Brush and Erase tools by using the keyboard shortcuts B and E respectively.
- Toggle the display the mask overlay on or off, using the shortcut M.
- To draw a perfectly straight line, hold down the Shift key and draw.
- To draw a straight line between two points, click on the first point, then release and Shift-click (hold down the Shift key, then click the mouse/pen) on the second.
- Quickly adjust the size of the brush. Press [ or ] to decrease or increase the brush size respectively.
- To move the mask in one piece using the brush tool, select the Cmd/Ctrl key (Mac/Windows) and click on the mask and drag it into position.
- To move the mask layer selection point, hold down the Alt key and drag to the chosen position.
To view keyboard shortcuts for working with Layers and Masks, go to the main menu and select Edit -> Edit Keyboard Shortcuts. Type in the required parameter or tool name and the corresponding shortcut will be listed. To change the shortcuts, check this article.