Skip to main content

Could someone tell me a backup strategy?

Comments

9 comments

  • Andrew Bennett
    Decent question Paul; did you ever get any input? I don't have any to give, but would be interested in whatever comes your way.
    Andrew
    0
  • H. Cremers
    i don't use the CO catalog, but that shouldn't matter much.

    I backup the catalog of my DAM and my files separately:
    to NAS
    to 2 cloud backup services
    0
  • LSdigi.com
    I hate the idea of catalog's so only use sessions in C1, and software called Chronosync to perform backups.

    For example on a shoot I would shoot into my main RAID5 SSD box, which then has two chronosync windows open, each syncing to:

    RAID5 Shoot Drive -> Portable Drive 1
    RAID5 Shoot Drive -> Portable Drive 2

    When I'm home I just transfer the main session into my desktop drive.
    0
  • Paul Horrell
    bennettandyp wrote:
    Decent question Paul; did you ever get any input? I don't have any to give, but would be interested in whatever comes your way.
    Andrew


    No. It seems most people use sessions. People obviously do back up their RAWs, but I don't know how. I will attempt to find a way that works for me and report back.

    Ah well.

    Paul
    0
  • Christwo
    I only use catalogues, always back up everything from my E drive to a second drive, this incs all my images and the catalogue files. Also just started backing all images to Amazon Cloud using syncback as you get unlimited storage of picures, raws included.
    0
  • peter Frings
    You have two backup features in C1 itself:
    - Backup the pictures on import. This copies every image to a folder when you import them.
    - Backup the catalogue to a folder.

    (The first is obviously not doing anything for your existing images.)


    But, as others have also suggested, it's probably better to use an external backup program. I use Time Machine for my entire home folder (containing the catalogue), and Crashplan to backup *everything* in 2 places: my NAS and on Crashplan's servers. That includes backing up the images that are located on an external disk (I let C1 backup the catalogue to that external disk as well).

    If one would really really want to play it safe, one would use more than one online backup service, just in case 😊

    HTH!
    Peter.
    0
  • Paul Horrell
    Christwo wrote:
    I only use catalogues, always back up everything from my E drive to a second drive, this incs all my images and the catalogue files. Also just started backing all images to Amazon Cloud using syncback as you get unlimited storage of picures, raws included.


    I yes, having explored the structure of the catalog on my HD this makes sense.

    Paul
    0
  • Paul Horrell
    All useful.

    And I forgot my C1 Catalog and images have in the meantime been going to my Time Machine. I excluded my Aperture catalog from TM to avoid the TM getting bloated, and used separate HDs instead. But Aperture had an obvious way to backup from within the program itself; C1 doesn't. You have to do it yourself.

    Thanks for the advice

    Paul

    peter.f wrote:
    You have two backup features in C1 itself:
    - Backup the pictures on import. This copies every image to a folder when you import them.
    - Backup the catalogue to a folder.

    (The first is obviously not doing anything for your existing images.)


    But, as others have also suggested, it's probably better to use an external backup program. I use Time Machine for my entire home folder (containing the catalogue), and Crashplan to backup *everything* in 2 places: my NAS and on Crashplan's servers. That includes backing up the images that are located on an external disk (I let C1 backup the catalogue to that external disk as well).

    If one would really really want to play it safe, one would use more than one online backup service, just in case 😊

    HTH!
    Peter.
    0
  • Andriy.Okhrimets
    C1 has ability to back up catalogs ONLY for cases if structure of catalog been damaged.
    And that already saved me couple works.

    I have a spare raid drive on which I periodically manually move catalogs that are longer not in use.
    0

Please sign in to leave a comment.