Loupe black circle hangs over grid

Comments

17 comments

  • NN635976380434502912UL
    Here is an example of what it looks like.

    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnKgnPr81ia8gY91E6NMAjIN2sEqgg?e=WHPtYT

    This appeared when I was using the copy adjustments arrow (Up to the Right) and was going to use the Down right arrow to paste them. The Loupe circle appeared and it didn't go away. I thought it would, but it was me taking an action (by clicking on something) that caused it to leave.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Robert Whetton
    You'll need to supply a ref to a JPEG, PNG, BMP etc for us to see an image attachment
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • NN635976380434502912UL
    I tried to share the OneDrive link. I'll paste it directly below.

    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnKgnPr81ia8gY91E6NMAjIN2sEqgg

    Now below here it is inside the img tags (the way I thought I had done it before).

    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnKgnPr81ia8gY91E6NMAjIN2sEqgg
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • NN635976380434502912UL
    Curiously the link inside the img tags is lost. Perhaps I am interpreting the use of those tags wrong (I used the Img button above the text box to insert them).

    But the other link is there in the text, but doesn't look like it shows as an active link.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Clau_S
    [quote="NN635976380434502912UL" wrote:
    Curiously the link inside the img tags is lost. Perhaps I am interpreting the use of those tags wrong (I used the Img button above the text box to insert them).

    But the other link is there in the text, but doesn't look like it shows as an active link.


    Right clicking your broken image icon and choosing to open the image in another tab you get redirected to onedrive where you can see it inside OneDrive UI. Above you can press the button to see the original, i.e. the image only with its jpg URL.

    https://udwbcq.dm.files.1drv.com/y4m-_LTo8vdP1iqf6SG1xij3XMETs3mHJ9ZLXOcNmwYQloJac9I0wo1qLLdeG0NUrSbZFSBS2iuKZ_ZEC0Tw1rWb_KUK-EKy6OXV3dBWUBeOjSFWX6yQxNT0CdfBfHD97v594SJpE6mc5hWvlIjmv6wr5PwODJM5QGVXTDEa2J4CmRA2UgGKsRpCa1bZY7MnHwYZ1H-Sz20dImAHWUOo3QgwDYQrPoqtw_uVdEnZCDsPb4/loupe%20circle.jpg

    This image is way too big for this forum but now it's not that difficult to open it in another tab to see it entirely.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Clau_S
    [quote="NN635976380434502912UL" wrote:
    Is anyone seeing the following behavior?

    The large circle that the loupe uses for magnified view seems to pop up at times (nothing inside it, just a black circle) when I am selecting photos in the grid to edit. It eventually goes away, after 3-4 seconds, but covers some tools and is therefore extra annoying.

    I have an Nvidia RT-2060 Super and dual 4k monitors on a W10 machine. The grid and main C1 display is on the left monitor and the Viewer (F10) is on the right monitor. Sometimes in C1 v12 (never in v11) this happens when I am selecting photos in the grid to edit in the Viewer window. I suspect it is a software timing/race condition where the loupe preps to display and then realizes I didn't select that action, so it doesn't display anything, BUT the screen space (in the form of a circle) was already allocated.

    I am on the latest C1, v12.1.4


    Regarding your question, it happens to me too when I single click an image in the browser (both in grid and filmstrip mode) with the loupe tool active, but the circle only goes away when I move the mouse pointer out. It's the same when I long press a thumbnail and the image is effectively magnified inside the circle. I haven't been able to reproduce your second case with the paste arrow.

    A strange thing is that if the magnifying circle is on screen (regardless if you used the loupe tool on viewer or browser and if it's empty or not) and I scroll to another app with Alt+Tab, the loupe circle and its content will remain on screen. So I can still have it over Chrome while I write this post.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • SFA
    Using WIn 7 I cannot duplicate this problem.

    I can get the grey circle in the middle of the screen if I activate the Loupe, hold down the left mouse/trackpad key and, hiving started on an image to make the Loupe active, drag the pointer off the image into the background areas. One large grey circle as a result.

    However, if I then release the left button the loupe disappears until I reactivate it on an image one again.

    Using a freshly opened session with a large number of images (but no over 7000 of them) and going for maximum zoom can give the system pause for thought as it processes stuff - and there are many things it might be potentially processing - but either way I have not bee able to replicate the orphaned loupe display.

    I would think it's a Windows window management event of some sort.

    Windows activity often improves after a couple of consecutive re-boots but other then that being quite a simple and possibly worthwhile in any case activity I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions other than creating a Support Case to obtain the thoughts of the C1 Support Team.

    By the way it's worth considering that the C1 Process tools are working at the system level not the session or catalogue level.

    For example, if you have more than one session or catalogue open and the Loupe tool selected it will be active for all open sessions/catalogues.

    And finally something in Win 7 that seem to have coincided with a recent V7 update - if I have minimised a session a seem to be (usually) unable to restore it by simply selecting it on the Task Bar and clicking. Sometimes it works but mostly not. Now I need to right click and use the "Restore" or maximise option from the pop up menu unless it was the last session to me minimised. That seems to be different to how things worked previously on this system.

    Or I could be going mad ...



    Grant
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Clau_S
    I've noticed another strange thing. The grey circle seems to be related to which thumbnails are diplayed. Something like If I click with loupe tool on the first ones (that are the first loaded by CO) the magnified portion of the image is shown, but if I scroll the browser down the problem occurs. If I scroll back to the initial state the issue revert. I've checked that at different zoom levels. A video would explain it better but I cannot do it now. Obviously I always have to move the pointer out to make the circle (whether grey or displaying the image) disappear.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • SFA
    OK, I can see this now but only under specific circumstances.

    Firstly I have to have the Loupe tool set to "Use Centred Loupe"

    Secondly I have to click and release BEFORE the loupe displays the zoomed in image from the Thumbnail.

    If I click and hold I can scroll around the image and releasing closes the thumbnail. Moving the cursor out of the Loupe circle also closes it.

    If I click and wait for the image to appear then release the scroll around option is frozen until I move the cursor out of the circle.

    If I don't have "Use Centred Loupe" set click and hold is required.

    Does that match what you see?


    Grant
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Clau_S
    [quote="SFA" wrote:
    OK, I can see this now but only under specific circumstances.

    Firstly I have to have the Loupe tool set to "Use Centred Loupe"

    Secondly I have to click and release BEFORE the loupe displays the zoomed in image from the Thumbnail.

    If I click and hold I can scroll around the image and releasing closes the thumbnail. Moving the cursor out of the Loupe circle also closes it.

    If I click and wait for the image to appear then release the scroll around option is frozen until I move the cursor out of the circle.

    If I don't have "Use Centred Loupe" set click and hold is required.

    Does that match what you see?


    Grant


    99% yes. I had already said that a single click brings up the grey circle (according to the circumstances I've reported in my last post) while a longer press fills it with the zoomed portion of the image. Disabling "Use centered loupe" does fix the issue and the uncentered magnifying circle is closed immediately after mouse button release. This does not happen when "Use centered loupe" is active. The only way to make the circle disappear for me is to move the cursor out of it.

    I'm still not able to reproduce the other case.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • SFA
    [quote="ClauS" wrote:
    [quote="SFA" wrote:
    OK, I can see this now but only under specific circumstances.

    Firstly I have to have the Loupe tool set to "Use Centred Loupe"

    Secondly I have to click and release BEFORE the loupe displays the zoomed in image from the Thumbnail.

    If I click and hold I can scroll around the image and releasing closes the thumbnail. Moving the cursor out of the Loupe circle also closes it.

    If I click and wait for the image to appear then release the scroll around option is frozen until I move the cursor out of the circle.

    If I don't have "Use Centred Loupe" set click and hold is required.

    Does that match what you see?


    Grant


    99% yes. I had already said that a single click brings up the grey circle (according to the circumstances I've reported in my last post) while a longer press fills it with the zoomed portion of the image. Disabling "Use centered loupe" does fix the issue and the uncentered magnifying circle is closed immediately after mouse button release. This does not happen when "Use centered loupe" is active. The only way to make the circle disappear for me is to move the cursor out of it.

    I'm still not able to reproduce the other case.


    ClauS - are you Win 10 or earlier?

    I find this in Win 7.

    Just wondering if this is C1 using a Windows feature set and finding a problem or internal coding.



    Grant
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • NN635976380434502912UL
    [quote="ClauS" wrote:

    Regarding your question, it happens to me too when I single click an image in the browser (both in grid and filmstrip mode) with the loupe tool active, but the circle only goes away when I move the mouse pointer out. It's the same when I long press a thumbnail and the image is effectively magnified inside the circle. I haven't been able to reproduce your second case with the paste arrow.


    I think does work like you are saying and I got confused thinking it was the copy arrow was the cause. If I left click on photos in the browser grid I can get a 'flicker' of the circle about 30-40% of the time, but it goes away. Only once in a while it stays. This sounds like a timing issue between a select click and a hold down click. This never happened in C1 v11 on W7.

    I wonder if this is a graphics driver issue?


    [quote="ClauS" wrote:

    A strange thing is that if the magnifying circle is on screen (regardless if you used the loupe tool on viewer or browser and if it's empty or not) and I scroll to another app with Alt+Tab, the loupe circle and its content will remain on screen. So I can still have it over Chrome while I write this post.


    I hadn't tried switching to another app with Alt-Tab when it was displaying. Perhaps that suggests it is using some sort of an overlay using the graphics driver.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • NN635976380434502912UL
    I have never used "Center Loupe". Didn't see it there. Hmm.... so it happened for me with it not centered. That destroys that as the common denominator. (I tried centered loupe and much prefer it not centered.)

    BUT... I am very consistently able to cause it when I clicked to select an image in the browse grid and then immediately move the cursor away to the toolbar, etc. I had to move it QUICKLY after the click (I don't wait for the selected lines to appear around the image) and that explains why I thought it was the copy adjustments button. I selected an image and then moved so quickly to the copy adjustments arrow that it seemed like the circle appeared WHEN I clicked on it.

    Does this work for either of you?
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • NN635976380434502912UL
    I submitted a formal support ticket/request since I know how to consistently duplicate it. I also referenced this thread in the request. I'll let you know what they say.

    Thanks for helping me testing this and letting me know I am not the only one.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Clau_S
    [quote="SFA" wrote:


    ClauS - are you Win 10 or earlier?

    Grant


    Windows 10. It could be the reason for our little difference.


    [quote="NN635976380434502912UL" wrote:
    I have never used "Center Loupe". Didn't see it there. Hmm.... so it happened for me with it not centered. That destroys that as the common denominator. (I tried centered loupe and much prefer it not centered.)

    BUT... I am very consistently able to cause it when I clicked to select an image in the browse grid and then immediately move the cursor away to the toolbar, etc. I had to move it QUICKLY after the click (I don't wait for the selected lines to appear around the image) and that explains why I thought it was the copy adjustments button. I selected an image and then moved so quickly to the copy adjustments arrow that it seemed like the circle appeared WHEN I clicked on it.

    Does this work for either of you?


    Yes. I did other tests. If you're fast enough to move the cursor away enough from the clicked thumbnail but the cursor will land still inside the browser or the viewer, the circle does not appear neither centered nor uncentered. Actually it is logic for everything we've reported before. But if the cursor will go up into the toolbar, the circle will appear both centered and not centered and it won't disappear until you move the cursor away from the toolbar.

    So, in your case, using a not centered loupe, just click your thumbnail with a single click and don't move the cursor immediately after. I mean, if you waste half-second or simply move it a little slower you won't lose so much time and you won't be annoyed by this until they solve such a strange behaviour.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • NN635976380434502912UL
    Support got back with me and asked for logs and a screen recording of my actions. I sent a movie from SnagIT to show it happening. They got back to me and said they can duplicate it and are submitting a bug report to the developers.

    There is hope... 😉
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • NN635976380434502912UL
    BTW, I installed Capture One 20 (which is called build 13 - go figure) and it does the same thing we discussed here. So I am glad this has been reported and they are taking it seriously.
    0
    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.