How can I recover a corrupt Catalog?

Comments

1 comment

  • Nicasio Zanetti

    My catalog was corrupted and nothing from within C1 (verify catalog, etc) would fix it.  I tried the SQLite method but encountered the same problem as people in the other thread. 

    My journey was a long one and I hope no one else has to endure it but it’s what I had to do to save my catalog and maybe it will work for you too.

    When I got the catalog error message, I tried 'verify catalog' and all those things within C1 but nothing worked. I tried to copy the catalog file to another location to back it up before further troubleshooting, but finder gave me an error, something like 'a file can't be read or written' and would cancel the copy but give me no further info.

    Since I had set up the catalog to store image files inside the catalog, I right-clicked on the catalog file to 'show package contents'. I then had to attempt to copy individual folders within the catalog file to determine where the corrupt files were, since finder didn't give me that information for some reason. 

    I copied the actual catalog file (inside the catalog package) and that was fine, I copied the adjustments folder and everything else in the package until I tried the original images folder.  For some reason I didn't think the problem would be with the original files but turns out it was.

    So within the 'originals' folder there were two smaller folders, and a bunch of folders within each of those.  Luckily I didn't have to try each of the many folders within the two, but when I tried to copy one of the two main sub folders within 'originals', finder would then give me the name of a single file that was creating the problem (instead of just a generic error message like before).  I would locate that file by searching in finder, and when I tried to copy it by itself it still would give me an error. I was lucky enough that my corrupt files were not crucial to a project so I was able to delete them, which is what I had to do.  

    So at this point, I have to attempt to copy the main folders within 'originals', discover one corrupt file at a time, search for and delete it.  I have no idea why finder wouldn't display the information of all the corrupt files.  I only had to repeat this about 8 times and luckily that was all the corrupt files I had.  I hate to think of a scenario where there would have been dozens of corrupt files because to discover each corrupt file, I had to attempt to copy the folder which would take a couple minutes each time. To delete the 8 or so corrupt files I had probably took me 2 hours. 

     After all the corrupt files were deleted, I was able to successfully copy the entire catalog file.

    Then, I was able to open the catalog in C1.  It took another couple hours of some behind the scenes work (I don’t know what the program was doing but it would still freeze if I tried anything) So I let it run for a while, seemingly to create thumbnails or something. Anyway I backed up the catalog first chance I got and everything seems to be working smoothly since then.

    Given this experience as well has numerous other little problems within the program, I don’t think I would choose to use catalogs that store original files.  I think storing them outside the catalog file is probably safer and easier to locate outside of C1.  Anyway this was my experience, hope it helps someone.  Or if there is an easier way to do what I did, please let me know!

    0
    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.