As wireless networks can be disturbed by other electronic devices, here are useful hints for the optimal experience and performance with wireless tethering in Capture One:
- For maximum transfer speed, use a camera utilizing AC/AX (Wifi-5/Wifi-6) wifi standards like the Canon R5.
- For the best experience using Canon R5, it is recommended to use the WFT-10 grip. It adds additional bandwidth to the camera, making the transfer almost double as fast under optimal conditions.
- Any modern router/access point can be used for wireless tethering with Capture One. We have had good success with Netgear Nighthawk M5 (battery-powered, 5G capable mobile router, for use on location), and Netgear Nighthawk AX5 (desktop router for use in the studio).
- You can optimize different scenarios using the following WiFi settings on your router/access point:
- Fastest transfer speed: 5 GHz
- Longest range: 2.4 GHz
- When using 5 GHz wireless tethering, for maximum performance, we recommend not to exceed 5-6 meters distance between the camera and the wireless access point/router.
- It is recommended to have a clear line of sight between the camera and the router.
- It is recommended to have the tethering-computer hardwired to the router via USB or Network-cable.
- It is recommended to use the newest wifi protocol, or at least as good as your camera provides, refer to your camera’s specification.
- It is recommended to have empty flash media in your Canon camera. If your connection to wifi drops, the camera will transfer the remaining images to the card.
Using the R5 camera on an AC/Wifi-5 network you can expect the following performance:
- R5 without grip: ~5-10 seconds from trigger to ready in Capture One;
- R5 + WFT-R10 grip: ~3-6 seconds from trigger to ready in Capture One.
If your connection is interrupted or you experience frequent connectivity issues:
- Go to menu "Wireless features 2"
- Select "Reset communication settings"
- Reconnect your camera to Capture One using this guide
Canon R3 + R5 (with WFT-10 grip):
- Go to menu "Wireless feature 2" (R5) or "Wireless feature" (R3)
- Choose "WFT setting" (R5) and "Connection settings" (R3 and R5)
- Configure another "Connection setting" and reconnect the camera to Capture One using this guide