General guidelines for setting the capture orientation
Select the appropriate setting from the Next Capture Adjustments tool when a camera is unable to determine the appropriate image orientation using its built-in internal sensor. For example, when the camera is overhead and pointing downwards, you can use this option to override the camera setting. This includes Phase One backs that already have their image orientation set by Capture One.
N.B. Combining Auto Alignment with with Auto Rotate and Keystone can result in images coming into Capture One with the incorrect orientation. Remember to check your Auto Adjust settings in the Toolbar.
- Navigate to the Next Capture Adjustments tool.
- From the Orientation fly-out menu, choose one of the following options:
- Default (camera’s setting)
- After selecting the option, the image will be oriented in a corresponding way in the Viewer.
- When using Live View with supported cameras, the orientation of the preview in Capture One's Live View window will match that of the Viewer.
Setting the capture orientation for digital backs
When capturing images at angles that are not supported by the digital back’s integrated image orientation sensor (for example, when the camera is facing down and rotated at the same time), you can use Capture One to set the orientation of captures in the Viewer. This option can also be used with earlier models that do not feature an integrated orientation sensor.
It is important to emphasize that using Capture One’s Orientation setting will not only rotate but overwrite the orientation information in an image. Hence the new orientation data will be kept in the image file when it is moved to another computer running Capture One.
- In the main menu, choose Camera -> Orientation.
- Set the desired rotation.
- Select Auto to rotate the capture automatically (Phase One IQ, P, and P+ series backs and H-backs made for 645-format only).
When using a tethered Phase One digital back with an integrated orientation sensor (i.e., Phase One IQ, P, and P+ series backs and H-backs made for 645-format only), Capture One can apply automatic rotation and keystone correction. Go to the Capture Tool Tab and checkmark the Auto Alignment option in the Next Capture Adjustments tool.