To aid composition when working tethered, you can apply an overlay to a live preview or captured image. While you can load a JPEG file as an overlay, it makes the most sense to use a file format with a transparent background layer in order to be able to see the captured images beneath. Capture One’s Overlay tool is compatible with the majority of popular file formats that support transparency, such as TIFF, PNG, and GIF. In addition, Mac users can also use PSD and PDF files, while Windows users can use BMP files.
- Start a tethered session or catalog. Choose File -> New Session.../New Catalog….
- Set up the camera for tethered photography.
- Initiate Live View. Select Window -> Live View or navigate to the Capture tool tab, where appropriate.
- From the Overlay tool, insert a draft file into the overlay window by pressing the File browse (...) icon to select a relevant file or simply drag and drop a file into the specified area.
- Select the Composition mode option to shoot a test shot.
- Adjust the draft file and/or the test shot to match each other accordingly.
- To remove the overlay, click on the action menu (...) and select Clear Overlay.