For the CH version click here
When working tethered with the Phase One XF camera (requires Firmware Update #3 or later) complete with an IQ digital back and AF lens, the Camera Focus tool allows control over the camera’s autofocus function. The tool works without releasing the shutter, allowing you to concentrate on focusing.
The Camera Focus tool also offers manual control using powered-focus buttons. Manual control is particularly useful when focusing on off-center subjects. The high degree of focus precision is essential with high-resolution sensors. Focus accuracy can be verified on-screen after capture using the Focus Mask tool.
The tool has two banks of buttons labeled as Near and Far on either side of the AF button. The outer triple-arrow buttons are used for large steps, the double-arrow buttons for fine adjustments, while the inner single-arrow buttons provide ultra-fine adjustment. As long as the powered-focus buttons are kept depressed, they will continue to focus on the lens. As soon as you release it, the focus will be locked.
Sony Alpha 9 and Alpha 7 series cameras complete with a compatible AF lens support the AF feature and are not currently compatible with the tool’s manual control option using the powered focus buttons.
Note that the Camera Focus tool is available in Capture One’s Live View window, which offers the advantage of being able to confirm focus on-screen before triggering the shutter. Compatibility with this tool in Live View mode is also available in certain Canon and Nikon camera models.
- From the Capture tool tab, go to the Camera Focus tool.
- Select the camera’s AF mode and active AF point and verify whether the lens is set to AF.
- Focus on the subject by pressing on the AF button in the Camera Focus tool. The AF confirmation light above the button duplicates the camera’s built-in AF indicator function.
- Alternatively, press and hold one of the outer powered-focus buttons (triple-arrow icons) to focus approximately on the subject. The buttons will drive the lens until released.
- Release the shutter and evaluate sharpness using the Focus Mask tool.
- To fine-tune focus, press and hold on the appropriate mid- or inner- focus-control buttons. Capture another image and verify using the Focus Mask tool.
The Camera Focus tool offers a specialized Focus Assist feature in Capture One Cultural Heritage that automatically moves an iXG camera to achieve a target resolution.