Capture One’s folder and naming token system can be used to create meaningful hierarchical folders using a feature called Dynamic Locations. Using this, you can leverage Capture One’s database functionality to access a wide range of folder and image data to assist you in managing and organizing images when processing.
Capture One’s Dynamic Locations feature can be optimized at the time of importing images when the initial folder structure can be created and named, while other information can be recorded as well. However, as an integral component of Capture One’s Library, the Dynamic Locations feature is sufficiently powerful to organize images when preparing files for processing, based on practically any existing storage strategy.
At every step from import through output, Capture One’s Library feature keeps track of the location and every change made to your images and their folders. That includes every time you create and name new Catalogs, Sessions, Collection (Folders and Albums), and tag and rate images, or assign color profiles and file formats for processing.
Adopting Capture One’s Location Sub Folder Tokens is the key to unlocking that power. Specifying Location Tokens when processing allows Capture One to automatically sort images into a logical structure of folders and sub-folders and to assign meaningful names to those folders.
There is a wide range of location tokens to be used when organizing image variants and naming folders for processing. Those of particular importance include:
- Document Name (Session or Catalog name).
- Collection Name (Album, Smart Album, Folder Collection containing the images selected for processing).
- Image Folder Name (Adopts the directory name that the file is located in or the Document Name when stored inside Catalog).
- Destination Folder Name (Name of the folder used for location of the output files).
- Session Sub Path Long (Session Folder and Sub-folder names to the image).
- Session Sub Path (Subfolders minus Session Folders such as Selects, Output, etc.).
- Job Name (Job name used in the importer dialog).
- Original Name (Original image file name).
- Capture Custom Name (Name used in the Next Capture Naming tool).
- Camera Counter (Adopts the camera’s counter readout, if available).
Image/Current Date (MMM dd yyyy) (Folder name by capture or current date).