While Sessions are typically used for tethered capture, Catalogs are also well suited. While you don’t have to create a new Catalog every time when you want to work tethered, it makes sense to create it if you want to share the database and image files with colleagues. Creating a Catalog when working with a tethered camera is not different from a regular Catalog, however, there are some points to consider, such as changing the location of captured files from the default setting, which is inside the database file.
- In the main menu, choose File -> New Catalog… and the corresponding dialog will open. When capturing images using an existing Catalog, ignore this section, connect a camera and verify the tool settings outlined in the Name or rename files section.
- In the Name text field, add the name of the new Catalog.
- In the Location text field, verify where the catalog and captured images will be stored or choose a new location by clicking on the (…) icon to the right of the Location field. As the catalog is a database file, it should be located on a high-speed HDD or an SSD for optimum performance. For convenience, when working offline, the drive must be local, however, catalogs can be saved to an external drive or a network drive when necessary.
- When creating a new catalog for tethered capture, image files are managed and stored inside the catalog by default. After the catalog has been created, you can choose to reference the images later using the Next Capture Location tool. Note that the camera does not save or back up, images to the memory card. In fact, it does not require a memory card to be installed.
- Choose a Template if you need to make setup or leave it Blank. When setting up a new tethered catalog, templates offer a convenient method for adopting a predetermined set of albums, favorites, and sub-folders. Note that you cannot create multiple sub-folders using Capture One’s dynamic locations feature when creating a catalog, you can only add them in case you have saved a hierarchy of folders previously as a template.
- Click OK to save the selections.